Autotanner Woes

Submitted by Damon on 12/22/04 at 4:03 PM. ( ) 198.81.26.73

I had an elk cape that I pre-tanned in my auto tanner. I took it out and drained and fleshed it. Since the tanning solution was so dirty I made up a new batch (Van Dyke Crystals-sold for use with the auto tanner). When I returned the cape to the auto tanner, the motor and shaft turned, but not the drum. I took the cape out, and still had the same problem--no drum rotation.
I called Steve and left a message, but I really need this elk cape done YESTERDAY! I have a couple questions, maybe someone can help me out here. First, has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do about it? Second, will the cape tan OK without turning--I used 6 gal of tanning bath in the 16 gal machine, and it is under pressure, and third, can I pull the cape out and finish the tanning in another tanning bath--Lutan F, Para Tan, Liqua-tan without causing any problems. Finally, should I just mix up a larger bath with the Van Dyke crystals and just use a tote to soak the cape?
If so, does anyone have any idea how long?
Thank you anyone and everyone who can help!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Toss it in a vat

This response submitted by - on 12/22/04 at 4:07 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.85

It should be ok with the pressure on but no rotation, but it's safer in a vat, and it's way easier to hand-stir a vat then it is to turn that drum manually (been there, done that).

set screw

This response submitted by Jack F on 12/22/04 at 4:17 PM. ( ) 12.152.154.66

There is only a set screw on the carrier baring that needs to be tightened. Look at the collor and you will see a allen screw take that one out and under that one is another one the same size just tighten it up and your on your way. I have to do this with mine from time to time. Jack F

Auto tanner not turning

This response submitted by ALLAN on 12/23/04 at 8:50 AM. ( ) 66.117.107.254

I use my tanner all the time without turing and have no problems.Just make sure you have plenty of tan solution in it.I will shake the taning machine by hand every now and then,and the capes come out fine.The reason I do not let it turn is I have had a couple of capes ruined because the eye opening got caught on one of the peggs inside of the tank and tore.

for anyone

This response submitted by wilson on 12/23/04 at 10:44 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.74

If the set screw isn't it ,you can buy a new motor and gear box at graingers $71.00 .

drill and put a bolt thru thru the collar......

This response submitted by Hip-O Taxidermy on 12/23/04 at 3:56 PM. ( hipo@direcay.com ) 66.82.9.53

There's a chance if the set screw came loose it could have made a groove in the shaft and won't hold any longer, we drill a 1/4 inch hole thru the shaft and collar and insert a bolt thru it. No more slipping then, specially with heavy hides.

Thank you all

This response submitted by Damon on 12/23/04 at 4:35 PM. ( ) 198.81.26.42

...and a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season to you as well!

Return to Tanning Category Menu