Tanning beaver hides

Submitted by Jerry on 12/30/04 at 7:44 PM. ( wolflake@midmaine.com ) 216.220.251.188

I have tried using EZ-Tan on a beaver hide and it still is quite stiff. I would like to make a yukon style hat or other garments from my skins. Should I send them out to a pro? Or use a Krotan or what? Thanks , Jerry

Return to Tanning Category Menu

beaver pelt

This response submitted by Doe on 12/30/04 at 8:19 PM. ( 1224@earthlink.net ) 65.130.92.66

Try "working" the hide over a beam or post to help make the leather softer and workable. If that does not work you might want to try re-hydrating it and try tanning again.

I hope you degreased it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 12/31/04 at 12:40 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.136.201

Beavers have a orange grease that must be removed for soft results! Otherwise it tends to leave the skin hard and difficult to soften. The degreasing should be done while they are pickled. EZ-100 normally does an excellent tan on Beaver.

Try the other tans - but keep in mind that the EZ-100 tan produces a very soft, long-lasting tan, thats washable - as opposed to other tans.

Beaver

This response submitted by oldshaver on 1/1/05 at 9:56 AM. ( oldshaver@yahoo.com ) 207.69.0.138

Sounds to me like they were not shaved thin enough, if not they will come out stiff. I didnt see oiling the skins mentioned either? That, and a good shave job, is where most of your softness will come from, not the tan. You need oil to lubricate the fibres. There is alot more involved in softening a skin than just the tan used, especially beaver.

Return to Tanning Category Menu