PH problem

Submitted by ane,norway on 12/31/04 at 4:55 PM. ( annegieide@yahoo.no ) 148.122.36.242

Hallo and help, just one hour before 2004 turns to 2005.
Ishould really have used my thoughts on other things now, but Im totally occupied and worried about my pickle.
Have some goatskins and a sheepskin in pickle since yesterday.I have used a receipt I got from a taxidermist here, but it dont seem to work.In 8 gallons of water (30 l) I started with 4 ounces of formic acid.I put 13.5 ounces of salt per gallon.The problem is that I cant get the PH down.Ive put more and more Formic acid and now I have put totally 34 ounces( 0.26 gallons or 1 l) in the 8 gallons of water!And the Ph still dont want to move under 2,5-3.
I have cleaned the furs in a mixture of olivesoap, ordinary shampoo and calcium soda.
What can be wrong?I am really worried about the skins and of how much formic acid they can take.Can anyone help? Since Im going away for two days it would have been so good to have solved this problem first!
Thanks from Ane

Return to Tanning Category Menu

It is your wash

This response submitted by MS on 12/31/04 at 5:24 PM. ( ) 24.12.133.91

You are using calcium, shampoo and soap, all will raise PH. If you wash before pickle, rinse, rinse, rinse. Mix another small solution of acid and check the PH. See if it goes lower. If it does, I would make a new batch and rinse the skins, drain and put them in the new batch. MS ....... HAPPY NEW YEAR.........

Lowering PH

This response submitted by Ane on 12/31/04 at 6:56 PM. ( ) 148.122.43.214

Is there really life and aid out there!In Norway it has just turned to 2005, but of course not in the states. So glad for your answer!
Thought about the cleaningprocess.I was adviced to use this, to spear the wool...
Ill try what you proposed.
Happy New year in return! Ane

Might be your calcium soda

This response submitted by Susan on 12/31/04 at 7:00 PM. ( rsorcutt@wyoming.com ) 204.227.206.111

Your calcium soda might be keeping your pickle from going down. You should really pickle a sheep (big Horn) at 2.5 to 2.7 or the hair will curl or be wavy don't know what kind of sheep you are doing. You don't want your pickle to go over 2.7 because bacteria will grow at anything above that.

calcium soda

This response submitted by Thats the problem on 1/1/05 at 12:09 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Never use anything with calcium before the pickle.

Calcium will neitralize the pH.

So you need to add a lot more formic acid.

Just get it under 2.5 pH.

ph

This response submitted by Ane, Norway on 1/1/05 at 4:26 AM. ( ) 148.122.43.143

Thank you all! I was really sceptical using the calcium soda, but thought that rinsing and rinsing over and over again would help.But not....
Ane

Return to Tanning Category Menu