Pickling Question For Fresh Skins?

Submitted by Rick,T on 12/31/04 at 7:58 PM. ( ) 12.109.75.163

I know I have read on here some time ago about the process of pickling fresh green hides, So my question is what is considered as being fresh? I think the process eliminated salting and putting the fresh skins right into the pickle am I correct?

I have 3 capes that I skinned out from deer taken after thanksgiving, I did not turn anything on them I just skinned out the head and bagged them and put in the freezer, I am ready to start on them now and wondered if they are still considered fresh.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

not freezing

This response submitted by Brian on 12/31/04 at 8:38 PM. ( Tired and hungry ) 152.163.100.130

Fresh hide is a hide taken straight off the carrcas not being frozen yet.

salting hides

This response submitted by Susan on 12/31/04 at 10:23 PM. ( rsorcutt@wyoming.com ) 204.227.206.62

you should still salt your hides for 12 to 24 hours it helps set the hair and this can be a step you don't want to skip

To me ..........!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/1/05 at 10:23 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.202

To me fresh skins and capes are the ones that are salted and still damp. Or - they were simply skinned, fleshed and never even salted. Either way - They were never dried. When such skins arrive at a Tannery - they complete the process by drying them - immediately! Later - they relax them and pickle!

alum in the pickeling

This response submitted by Laurier on 1/1/05 at 12:23 PM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.47

Rick: if you turn the lips,eyes,ears . then put it in your pickeling but first put alum in it, go on the orange button and search or phone me at (705)476-0483 and I will explain it to you. Many other taxidermist think this is a bad way, but i've been doing all my own tanning for 32 years and I never loose a skin,why dry out a skin and then fight to rehydrate it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu