FOX TAIL HELP!

Submitted by Charley on 2/1/05 at 9:14 PM. ( Charley011583@yahoo.com ) 68.11.56.19

I am in the process of tanning a red fox for a mount and the tail is slipping! I split the tail about half way down and then stripped the rest ot the tail out like a squirrel. I searched the archives and they say you can strip the whole tail so I didn't think stripping half of the tail would hurt. It seems as if there was moisture inside the tip of the tail skin and bacteria grew. I was putting the skin in the pickle and noticed that the tail is ruined. What am I doing wrong? I live in Louisiana and the air is really moist so it takes like a week for the hide to even begin to dry, I thought maybe that was part of the problem.
Please help! This tail is gone and I'm going to have to get a tail and sew it on there but next time I'd like to know how to prevent this!
THanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

For tanning, regardless of what you read

This response submitted by George on 2/1/05 at 10:49 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.74

Split the tail all the way down. Stripping it works if you're using DP , but not for tanning. Half way down means that you left it half done.

Return to Tanning Category Menu