Krowtan

Submitted by Jeff on 2/4/05 at 2:42 PM. ( ) 24.214.17.37

I wanted to know if using Krowtan will it tan a hide that will stay soft for years? I am new at this..thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

You're new to the forums as well, huh?

This response submitted by George on 2/4/05 at 4:46 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.73

I hope Brian Harness reads this as he was on my case for admonishing people who've asked a thousand dumbass questions about this ancient method of tanning. It's all in the archives under that orange SEARCH icon, but if you simply scroll down, you'll find two or three here already.

Here's the score on questions in the archives
Liqui-Tan-42
JRTS (John Rinehart)- 42
McKenzie Tan - 103
EZ 100 - 217
Krowtann 2000 (In various spellings and misspellings)- 593

george

This response submitted by cory on 2/4/05 at 5:06 PM. ( ) 208.155.30.17

No disrespect george, but why do you have to be so rude. I have been reading these forums for almost two years. All I really do on this forum is read peoples questions and search for answers to my own questions. I think I have only asked one question in all that time. And it's not because I do not have any to ask. It is because I don't want to get scolded by people like you for asking "dumbass questions". It's like being in school again and being afraid to raise your hand because the other kids will pick on you. There are no stupid questions only stupid people. If you don't like the question, don't answer it. I wonder how many times people have told you that. Lets start counting.

You're new to the forums as well, huh?

This response submitted by Jeff on 2/4/05 at 6:24 PM. ( ) 24.214.17.37

George thanks for all the help spelling and telling me to search for the answers, but all you want to tell me how dump ass my question was... if thats what this place is all about then I guess all I would ever get is dump ass answers..or maybe you just do not know the answer to the question...not sure if I was standing in front of you that you would call my questions as being dump either.... tell me where you will be at what show and I will step up and introduce myself to you bud

Because

This response submitted by Mr. T on 2/4/05 at 7:51 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.140

George is not the only one that is tired of stupid Krowtann questions. What in the world is wrong with the instructions on the bottle? I can read my bottle and the instructions that came with it. And I have a perfect picture on how to use it. George is right, look at the evidence on the amount of times directional confused people post questions about it. Why not call the manufacture? They supply a phone number.
Can I use Krowtann in my lawn mower?
Can I use Krowtann for tanning animals?
Can I use Krowtann in other ways other than the only way the instructions tell me to?
Can I use Krowtann in a plastic bucket?
Will Krowtann tan, on, and on, and on, and on.
The manufacture can come to this web site and collect all of the questions ever posted, and write a book on answering them, and why don't they?
It must be that the directions ON THE BOTTLE are plain enough to read and to FOLLOW.

But to answer Jeff, no it wont make a skin soft forever. It will dry stiff as most tans do. If you need it soft, that is another process in it's self. It will tan everything very well. It is the Greatest thing since sliced bread.

Jeff

This response submitted by Becky P on 2/4/05 at 8:11 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.73

If you use the krow-oil and break it per intructions supplied with the krow-oil, it will be relatively soft. I have a deer hide that I tanned and oiled with very little breaking a year ago. It is still fairly soft. If it had been shaved and broke, I have no doubt it would be softer. BUT, I do not believe it would ever be as soft as one that has been sent to the tannery. BP

CORY/JEFF

This response submitted by Trapper on 2/4/05 at 9:23 PM. ( ) 69.14.195.217

I (and a huge number of other people) share your feelings about what a 'roid George is...he proves it most every day! Dont let it get to ya!

Why ? George

This response submitted by KROWWWTAAAANNNNNNNNNN!! on 2/4/05 at 11:04 PM. ( ) 204.62.206.252

cant you just answer the question? That orange button isnt the answer to everything,all of the typing that you did you could have easily gave a answer--I have noticed that alot of " forum pros" like to bitch and complain any time a "rookie" ask a question, who cares about the score on the questions in the archives.

Yep, there ARE stupid people and there ARE stupid questions

This response submitted by George on 2/5/05 at 12:40 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.73

And there's living, documented proof here of both. I love to volley with both of them. As I told Brian in a post JUST TWO WEEKS AGO, this is an ALUM TAN. Alum tans are very OLD TANS and newer, modern methods have proven OVER TIME to last longer and better. Alum tans are the simplest and easiest tans in the world. Always have been, always will be. This one COMES WITH EXPLICIT DIRECTIONS listed on the bottle, yet STUPID PEOPLE ask STUPID QUESTIONS and I listed just how many of you there are who've done it. If that makes you feisty and want to attack me, have at it. My hide was tanned with better stuff and it'll last regardless of the shots you take. Simply put, an alum tan is the next step away from Dry Preservative. Only DP is simpler to use than an alum tan. Only difference is, DP lasts longer and is a bug proofer. Alum tans aren't. I hear it stops slipping. AMAZING. That's what alum DOES. IT constricts the cell structure to hold the hair in. Just like denatured alcohol or any strong pickle will do.

As far as "Beginners", most of you misfits want to claim that and I've been accused of picking on "beginners". Well that's a lie as well since you can see this posting is under "TANNING" and not under "Beginners". Bill Engvall has a song about Krowtann users: "Here's your sign."

Come on now...

This response submitted by I,m getting sleepy on 2/5/05 at 1:23 AM. ( ) 204.62.206.252

George, I think you really enjoy this dont you? From now on why dont you just look at the title and if it contains the word "you know what" just skip over it, man its real simple, just try it you will be amazed, oh and Terri Clark has a song about you" I just wanna be mad"

Yep, there ARE stupid people and there ARE stupid questions

This response submitted by Jeff on 2/5/05 at 1:37 AM. ( ) 24.214.17.37

I did try to contact the manufactor of Krowtann and tried three times leaving my name and number but as of this time and date no response maybe he is out counting his money... i will not repeat the question due to you thinking its stupid well hope you never need help but if i was a betting man i bet you were the slowest in the class and asked so much until you understood now affraid someone might see you lol.. silly to be even wasting my time with you George..of the jungle..lmao

Ignore him

This response submitted by Rick on 2/5/05 at 8:05 AM. ( ) 68.54.183.119

Ignore George. Obviously he thinks his IQ is much higher than the rest of us. Don't let him degrade the purpose of this forum, to help others with taxidermy. If you have a question, don't be afraid to ask. There are many helpful people on this site that will take the time to help you, rather than spam you with directions on using the orange button, over and over.

Rick

And the one who has helped the most,,,

This response submitted by Mr. T on 2/5/05 at 10:30 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.18

George! He has helped me every time I've e-mailed him, asking for tips. Great, solid advice. We all have hot buttons that we take passionate stands on. There is a certain Democrat on the site, C.B., that takes a hammering for what he believes, and puts up a tough stand and defense, that his hot button. You guys call him the same names that you do George, and he is still a great guy for tips and advice. And for others, the hot button is about molding and casting. George has a Krowtann button, that's all.
It seams that people here have a George hot button that sets you off, see, the shoe fits you're foot too!

Please Keep on Helping

This response submitted by Rick on 2/5/05 at 11:06 AM. ( ) 68.54.183.119

And that is what all of us are looking for, great solid advice, and that is why this site has a forum. Many times people press the orange button and find an answer, be it a complete answer or partial answer. We even have the instructions in front of us. But many times we want confirmation. Every human being wants to hear something twice on various subjects such as religion, politics, love, and taxidermy.

We have a choice to ask a question or even to answer one. Remember the adage, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. If you see the subject appear, ie Krowtann, and if it is going to raise your blood pressure, then why read it, and why respond insulting the author. Do what you do best, help those that need it and ask for it. Humans are not dumb and stupid, questions are not dumb and stupid. They are asked for a reason. Reply in the spirit you want others to reply to you.

Rick
... life is too short, enjoy it!

rick

This response submitted by wilson on 2/5/05 at 11:33 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.73

Thanks rick , i know your not an expert on krowtan , but it seems your the only one the got directions with their kit.
Stick around and help.

Ozark Woods

This response submitted by Becky P on 2/5/05 at 1:41 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.73

Any and every time I have called them with questions about any of their products, they have either answered the call or returned it in a very timely manner. Brian has always been friendly and helpful.

I just think they made the directions too simple. Look at how many people that don't understand how to use dp correctly either, ie. salting, pickling, dp then freezing. People expect there to be more to it. BP

dumb question ?

This response submitted by paul on 2/5/05 at 3:14 PM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

i was told by an old timer, the only dumb question, is the one thats never asked, is this true?

Paul

This response submitted by wilson on 2/5/05 at 4:15 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.73

After i tan with krowtan can , can i dump it on the weeds out back?
If we don;t know dumping chemicals in the environment is bad , we should.OR i was told by an old timer, the only dumb question, is the one thats never asked, is this true? or are we there yet.IF the directions say soak for 3-4 , why ask how many days, should i soak the hide?

Their are many questions.

Response to ALL on the Krowtan question

This response submitted by Jeff on 2/5/05 at 10:46 PM. ( ) 24.214.17.37

This started with one question and now we have jumped to other's who asked a question about Krowtan... how did this one question get this far off track... I do have the direction with the kit as funished... I still have not received a return on my phone calls.... I will try again on Monday...not giving up with the one who makes the stuff.... Just felt someone out there knew if this would work for a soft tan for a beaver..... something to hang or make a small throw rug..thats all... did not mean to flip GEORGE or get off on another bashing Krowtann.... anyone who has read the softee tan direction would flip the first time out of the gate... just a simple yes it will work or nope wrong stuff.. you need a tumbler to break the hide down no mater what I use......I got everything from a spelling test to some bull from some guy who was not the sharpest cookie cutter in the drawer...... never mind giving up on the questions in here,,,lets see oh yeah push the orange button maybe in hours of reading i will find something similar but not exactly what I asked... might as well waste another life the beaver gave his for me to have his hide...lol *G*

ridiculous

This response submitted by j. on 2/28/05 at 6:32 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.73

if you have a question about almost anything some dumb ass remark is going to be replied.. some people just cant help it..they weren't brought up w/ any manners..no RESPECT for another human being and further more i would like to meet some of these guys at a show..and see if they are totally capable of standing behind there words or if the computer is the only stength they have.. can't wait to here the following remarks.. you know its just going to drive some tough guy nuts to reply..so i guess just bring it on "SEARCH THE ORANGE BUTTON ARCHIVES" but to all those guys/gals who do help the new persons starting this hobbie/business thx for all your help...

Return to Tanning Category Menu