Tanning young bobcat for rug

Submitted by Terry on 2/6/05 at 12:52 PM. ( tcmiller@isotechnetworks.net ) 38.113.35.11

I have a 6.5 pound bobcat that I skinned and I am making it into a rug for the customer. If I send it to a commercial tannery, will the process be too harsh for such a delicate skin? Some tanneries state they are not responsible for damage to small mammals and will not replace them. Would I be better off tanning it myself and trying to get the hide soft by extended tumbling in sawdust grit? Is there another suggested process to get the hide supple?
With it being so small, it is not replaceable. It was a roadkill that the customer obtained permission to possess for taxidermy purposes. Thanks in advance, Terry

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Tan it yourself

This response submitted by Chris on 2/7/05 at 9:14 AM. ( ) 68.118.138.104

Personally I would tan it myself. You will likely not be happy with the results of a commercial tannery. Bobcats are realtively thin skinned to begin with so they soften nicely with the appropriate steps. The heaviest skin on a bobcat is the back of the neck and a young kitten like that will likely not have much heavier skin in that area.

Chris

Return to Tanning Category Menu