steps after McKenzie tan for softening

Submitted by Matt on 2/7/05 at 7:10 PM. ( ) 216.93.76.183

i would like to make some fox, coon, and coyote rugs using McKenzie tan. I purchased the McKenzie oil and am not sure what to step to use it on. Could someone give me steps to follow starting after the tan has soaked on for at least 4 hours. I believe i have to break the skin over a dull axe if i recall and use the oil but i have no idea what comes after what. How long do i leave the oil on before rinsing the skin? Could you please tell me the correct way to break the hide from the tan to the wall. Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

well

This response submitted by lee on 2/7/05 at 7:36 PM. ( ) 170.224.224.119

well george will disagree but id wait until the hide starts to dry a bit before you break it. you will know when it is dry enough when you stretch on it and it starts to turn white and has alot of stretch.
lee

Is ...

This response submitted by Matt on 2/7/05 at 7:53 PM. ( ) 216.93.76.183

Is that after i have already applied the oil and how long should the oil soak in and should i rinse it at all

i have

This response submitted by lee on 2/7/05 at 8:23 PM. ( ) 66.119.34.55

id let it soak in over night. then put a cup of mineral spirits in a garbage bag with some saw dust and throw it in your dryer for about five minutes (no heat) that will take the oil out of the hair. then let it dry as stated above. if you need more help call me 208-476-5091
lee

Return to Tanning Category Menu