How to use left over salt?

Submitted by RL on 2/8/05 at 2:30 PM. ( ) 69.144.29.175

After salting a hide , shaking old salt and using new salt, now, can
(a) all that "old" salt be used for the pickle bath?
(b) aired out to salt other hides?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

throw it away

This response submitted by lee on 2/8/05 at 2:38 PM. ( ) 170.224.224.155

i throw all mine out. salt is cheap. you would more than likley be ok reusing salt but why take unessary chances.
lee

I'm not cheap, but....

This response submitted by tomdes on 2/8/05 at 3:23 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.15

I do recycle where I can, I have an old fine screen sifter I dump my dried out salt into, and shake away, all the salt chunks, deer hair etc is thrown out or is recycled further into the salt lick out in the back forty...

throw it out

This response submitted by Mr. T on 2/8/05 at 6:24 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.66

The old salt is now contaminated with body juices that you removed from the cape. It is now useless.

We leave a thick layer of it

This response submitted by KB on 2/8/05 at 10:33 PM. ( ) 65.161.239.4

on the floor in the salting area, and stir and smooth it until it's dry, then lay the fresh hides and capes to salt on top of it. (We have a large airy room w/cement floor, dry climate, and a wood stove to heat up and really dry everything out when it needs it.) We rotate it, throwing out the dirtier salt as the new gets laid down. It works great that way for us, but I don't think it would be good in a more humid climate.

never throw away

This response submitted by newbirdman on 2/9/05 at 6:23 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.131

I have never thrown out any salt in my life . I just let it dry out and reuse it . All I do is add new salt when I get low . I send my skins out to be tanned and have never had any slip and I've been doing this for over 30 years . I also just lay my hides flat when salting and cover them with at least an inch of salt , this absorbs the excess moisture . Rick

use mine

This response submitted by Michelle B on 2/9/05 at 6:45 AM. ( laurelmt@lhtc.net ) 65.167.183.64

I sweep mine up in a bucket and use it to salt icy walk-ways coming into my shop.

Salt..

This response submitted by tomdes on 2/9/05 at 8:37 AM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.22

Is a lousy medium for bacteria, it won't kill it but it doesn't grow either, so that's why it can be reused after it's been dried. I use a dehumidifier during the salting of all my capes so when I'm done with them I just leave the machine on a day or so until the salt is dry, then sift over a garbage can then store away for another year. I do my salting on plastic tarps so it's easy to corral the salt when done..

De-Icing

This response submitted by Mike on 2/9/05 at 2:30 PM. ( ) 216.234.113.27

I use mine on my drivway and sidewalk.

Return to Tanning Category Menu