Tanning

Submitted by John Green on 2/8/05 at 4:37 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.197

will it hurt to levae a hide in Lutan F For thonger that it said?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Not good!

This response submitted by Steve A. on 2/8/05 at 5:28 PM. ( ) 216.129.231.7

Most directions say about 24 hours for deer capes. WASCO's directions say 48 hours. I have used WASCO's directions with no ill effects, but I wonder why so long. I normally soak deer capes about 24 hours with good results. I've heard that if you leave a hide in too long though it will become rubbery. I don't want to ruin a good cape, to find out, so I've never done that. Hope this helps...

went 48

This response submitted by Mr. T on 2/8/05 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.85

Lutan directions state 18 -24 hours. I went 48 one time because I started it at the wrong time of day and got busy doing a real job and couldn't get back to it. I don't recommend it at all. Why risk it, it can only absorb so much tan, and it will do that within the 24 hours. I think wacky sometimes, but longer is not better for this process, I think.

Cross-linking becomes a problem!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/9/05 at 1:11 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.200

If you tan using Lutan F or EZ-100 over 24 hours - cross linking becomes a problem. Initailly the tanning agents bond to the protein - but after 24 hours they also begin to bond to themselves. While this is good for leather - it is not good for Taxidermy. What happens is they lose stretch, and while they appear fully tanned, they possess "memory" and do not conform well to your forms.

Always try to keep your tanning under 24 hours! I'd recommend 16-20 hours just to be safe!

tanning

This response submitted by J on 2/10/05 at 6:48 PM. ( ) 66.249.36.43

also the tan temp has a lot to do with time go by each manufactures directions. good question!

Return to Tanning Category Menu