Oil In Hair on a Rug

Submitted by Sam on 2/14/05 at 5:47 PM. ( sam22bennett@hotmail.com ) 207.177.14.30

I am doing a novelty Red Squirrel rug, and it is my first time using a submersion tan and oil. In the past, I have used Curatan and never had a problem with oil in the fur. I am Using Lutan F with ProPlus oil for this one. It said to mix 1 part oil to 2 parts hot water, so I did. This made a very thin solution and I got almost the whole fur side full of oil. I don't have access to a tumbler, So what should I do to get the oil out of the hair? Since it is a rug, will shampooing it make the skin too hard?Just need some advice since this is a first for me.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Plastic Bag

This response submitted by John on 2/14/05 at 9:11 PM. ( ) 68.206.86.90

Put it in a plastic bag with hard wood saw dust and shake it. Do this after the skin is dry.

This response submitted by Sam on 2/14/05 at 11:04 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

Thanks,I can get oak sawdust from my school's woodshop. Will Try!

You can also try

This response submitted by KB on 2/14/05 at 11:06 PM. ( ) 65.161.239.4

brushing talc through the hair, blowing it out with a compressor, and repeating until the oil is soaked up.

Or you can dry clean it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/15/05 at 12:15 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.136.199

Or -dry clean it! Smply put some sawdust in a plastic garbage bag - add some odorless mineral spirits or lacquer thinner until its damp but not soggy - then tie it off after putting the skin inand bounce it around for 5-10 minutes and blow it off using an air hose!

Thanks

This response submitted by Sam on 2/15/05 at 7:36 PM. ( sam22bennett@hotmail.com ) 207.177.14.30

Thanks Everyone! I Got sawdust from school today and trid plain sawdust right when I got home, It got quite a bit of the oil out. Then I changed the sawdust and added some laquer thinner. I am still shaking it around in a sealed Ice Cream bucket, and it is almost perfect. Thanks Again!
Sam Bennett

Return to Tanning Category Menu