tanning troubles

Submitted by Rock on 2/16/05 at 10:41 PM. ( ) 67.34.200.237

I tanned a deer hide with the sallie dames products. Acid bath crystals and liqua tan, etc. I went through the whole process the way the instructions said from salting to lutan F and applying the tanning oil. I did all steps from the instructions provided. When it fully dried it was harder than a rock I could not even brake the skin loose. I have done plenty of tans with this product and they have turned out just fine. I dont know if the chemicals can go bad over time which I have had for about a year. I was just wondering if something went wrong which somebody might know about therefore so I wont do it again. Also if anybody can tell me of a better soft tanning process they have used that would be appreciated. Any advised or HELP? Thanks!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

What tan

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 2/17/05 at 4:49 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 141.158.147.14

Not being smart here but you stated two different tans here, liqua-tan and Lutan F?
I know that Liqau-tan doesn't go bad as for Lutan F I don't use that.
Now to get a soft hide your to brake it as it dries not when it's totally dried hard. Rewet it and then brake it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu