saftee acid vs. formic - difference in ph?

Submitted by mk on 2/17/05 at 1:10 PM. ( ) 66.82.9.74

ok for safetee acid you want the ph to be between 1 and 2 but for formic acid you want ph to be between 2.5-3. - if below 2.5 there is not much stretch, but you want to be under 3. how come you cant put safetee acid between 2.5 and 3? ph is ph right? i do know safetee acid is more stable where as formic takes about 24hrs to stablize after the capes are thrown in. is there really that much more stretch with the formic acid?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Formic acid won't REACH below 2

This response submitted by George on 2/17/05 at 4:24 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.74

That's WHY people like me trust the real acids that go down to 1.0 to lock in the hair. And that's why theres's so much more stretch in formic.

You dont need that low of a ph

This response submitted by oldshaver on 2/17/05 at 7:40 PM. ( ) 207.69.12.236

I shaved a cape the other day for a local Taxidermist (as a favor) that was pickled in SA and it took me twice as long to shave as a formic pickled skin. That skin was tighter than dicks hat band, making your chances for making damages much greater. Proper salting is what is locking in that hair. If a skin is going to slip, it dont matter what the ph is.

George it depends on the purity of the formic acid.

This response submitted by John C on 2/17/05 at 8:37 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I use to get some from KSU, it was 90% Formic acid, it was a by-product but some of the puriest Formic I have ever found.

With a calibrated meter its easy with quailty Formic to drop the pH to 1, but all you need is 3.5 pH or less.

Sorry - Formic bottoms out at approximately 2.0!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/18/05 at 2:33 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.133

Yep - it truly does bottom out at 2.0 PH - no matter if you use Formic Acid (85%) 1.1 fl. oz. or 1 gallon - to every 1 gallon of pickle. Try it.

As for a comparison - Formic is astringent and does kill bacteria even though its above a 2.0 PH - whereas simply because Saftee Acid is below a 2.0 PH it also kills bacteria and sterilizes the skin.

Formic does pickle faster then Saftee acid. Whereas Formic takes 2 days minimum to pickle thoroughly - Saftee Acid takes 3 days minimum.

For shaving purposes - I like both of these acids. However, some may prefer one over the other. I must admit that I prefer the Saftee Acid. I like a firm skin when I shave - others prefer it looser.

One very good reason I prefer Saftee Acid is because it only requires 1/2 fl. oz. per 1 gallon of pickle. And its doesnt burn immediately on contact (you have 10 minutes to wash it off) - or evaporate into your shop's air - or have an odor. But others are willing to put up with those drawbacks because they may have a local source for Formic Acid thats much cheaper!

Return to Tanning Category Menu