instant preserve

Submitted by JIM on 2/21/05 at 10:12 PM. ( ) 4.225.104.222

I going to try some instant preserve head mounts, My ? is The capes are fleshed salted, and 75% dry, Can I still use thie
Instant Tan method on these? The mounts are mine for Experimental purposes. Can you use this on such hides and capes or do they need to be fresh caped or skinned.. Thanks or your input. JIM

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Jim, you have some explaining to do

This response submitted by George on 2/21/05 at 11:43 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.74

I'm ASSUMING here, but as I recall, Van Dykes calls their dry preservative "instant Preserve". Is that what you're talking about? If so, the answer is NO, you can't use it. Once salt enters the scenario, it would be more advisable to use one of the many tanning methods out there. Salt and DP work in similar ways but are really not compatible with each other as a mounting technique.

thank you

This response submitted by jim on 2/22/05 at 8:45 PM. ( ) 4.224.138.86

I thought so. thanks for clearing that up. do you think the tanning creams work well. I have done a few like that but not enough to make me change from sending to tannery..Thanks again

Jim, tanning creams do work, BUT...

This response submitted by George on 2/22/05 at 9:34 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.74

I have to be honest. I send all my "expensive" trophies out to have them professionally done. For whitetails, it works superbly, but I wouldn't want to trust a bighorn sheep or kudu to that treatment. They MAY work just fine, but I don't.

Return to Tanning Category Menu