fleshing

Submitted by andy on 2/28/05 at 6:46 PM. ( ) 68.77.38.217

im a beginner and i was wondering i couldent get all of the membrane and meat off of the hide its tanning right know i was wondering if this would ruin it any? it was super tight on it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

you can get it later

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 2/28/05 at 7:23 PM. ( ) 216.108.208.37

you can remove the rest after you pickle it for a few days. When fleshing you can cover with salt and let set for a bit,this aids in the firming of the membrane to make it easier to remove.
Keep in mind that this membrane and all meat and fat has to be removed.

Membrane

This response submitted by John on 2/28/05 at 10:57 PM. ( ) 68.206.81.73

If you are tanning it right now with membrane on it you aren't doing it right. All of the membrane must be removed before tanning. You can take it out of the tanning solution now and neutralize the skin again. Do not neutralize too long, 20 minutes is enough time. If you over neutralize you will get surface tanning. Rinse the skin thoroughly and pickle. While the skin is in the pickle it can be fleshed and put back into the pickle. We always give our skins another 24 hrs in the pickle after the final fleshing (shave). This allows the pickle to penetrate the skin thoroughly and we get great tanning results. We only use Rittels products.

Return to Tanning Category Menu