bear in freezer 2 yrs.

Submitted by Dal Dunagan on 2/28/05 at 7:43 PM. ( dedunagan@earthlink.net ) 207.69.140.35

I found a guy who has had a black bear skin, with head and feet still in, in his freezer for 2 years. I have never done a bear hide, and I was wondering what the odds might be of it being ok to turn into a rug. I was told that some of the local taxidermist were afraid to touch it, due to it maybe not making it through the tanning process. If I can get it to thaw enough to flesh, treat with stop rot, salted and dried, shouldn't it be alright? Any tricky stuff to bear skins? Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Who, in the southeast might do the better tanning job on it?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

not a problem

This response submitted by lee on 2/28/05 at 8:01 PM. ( ) 66.119.34.54

i do them all the time like that, i have even done them up to 7 years in the freezer. you shouldnt have any trouble.
lee

Thanks

This response submitted by Dal Dunagan on 2/28/05 at 8:06 PM. ( dedunagan@earthlink.net ) 207.69.140.35

Thanks Lee, I felt like it would be worth a try. The guy can't enjoy it in the freezer and if it turns to trash, he will not be any worse off.

It's OK

This response submitted by Jimmy on 2/28/05 at 10:56 PM. ( nightbiter2001@yahoo.com ) 4.156.174.33

It will be ok, just flesh it out good and salt like you would a deer cape. What you need to know is was it taken care of before it went into the freezer. Like did it hang for 7 to 10 days to show it off. Check it out.

THANKS

This response submitted by Dal Dunagan on 3/1/05 at 9:23 PM. ( dedunagan@earthlink.net ) 207.69.140.24

Thanks Jimmy for the reply. I will do some more checking before I take on this project.

Return to Tanning Category Menu