wire wheel on small mammals

Submitted by Bill E. on 4/2/05 at 1:15 PM. ( ) 65.99.145.2

Just mounted a course wire wheel on a 3450 rpm 1/3 hp bench grinder
started on a fisher but learned I had to go easy not to go through the hide. Was wondering what others used for a flesher in reguards to horse power, rpm, size of wheel etc. Thanks Bill E

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Drill

This response submitted by Mr. T on 4/2/05 at 1:39 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.12

Ever hear of overkill and burn through? I use a variable speed drill with a 3" wire wheel, clamp it in the vice and slow it down and have perfect controll on those thin skinned critters. You dont need a chainsaw engine to flesh with. You could use something that large and fast for a Buffalo or something heavy, but not on thin skinned things.

Bench Grinder

This response submitted by Wolf Man on 4/2/05 at 2:08 PM. ( timberwolftaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 24.151.151.81

One other thing you should buy is a variable speed switch that is specifically designed for small motors. I picked on up at Grainger's for around 20 bucks. I wire up a deal where this switch is able to be plugged in to an outlet and is inline with the grinder with out having to do anything at all to the grinder. It will have a dial on it so you can set the speed of the motor slower for working around the nose, hair follicles, and eye lids. Then, when you get to thinning the not so sensitive areas, you turn the motor up and really get to it.

Info I got from the search.

Return to Tanning Category Menu