so what is the best tan method?

Submitted by Flying B on 4/2/05 at 11:34 PM. ( ) 209.83.13.38

ok i have been ready this forum for two months. read a ton of the achives. why is it so split on what is the best tanning method. in this day and age of everybody knows everything why isnt there one answer? Im not sending my capes out. if the cape is going to get ruined it will be by me and nobody else. So to the point what is the best tanning method. i have been cream tanning and pickleing and it seems ok but i wonder about twenty to thirty years down the road. i did some submergibale tan(ez 100) cant tell any difference in the short term results. i have done jrts and they looked good. But i would guess ez tan being the best because it tans both sides of the cape. however the disadvantage is an extra day of the tanning process with the oiling step? One thing i do notice is brush on tan does , without a doubt cause the hair to become loose for a few days before the hide begins to dry on the mount. Im not talking about falling out but you can pull hair out without breaking it. I have seen less of that with ez tan. Anyway what is the best in home system for whitetail deer irregardless off how time consuming it is?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

A/T

This response submitted by Chuck on 4/2/05 at 11:45 PM. ( ) 216.198.127.92

has worked pretty good for me, but nobody knows what the long term is going to be like.

iTs An OpInIoN

This response submitted by Ben Dover on 4/3/05 at 12:12 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Alum tan has been around several hundred years, Lutan series is an Alum tan.circa 1944 Schwinfert Germany.

JRT Cream is nothing but tanning oil and BTH BTA, these can be found in almost every food made of grain products. Check the Wheaties box!

So would you rather have a hide coated on one side with food stuff or soaked in an aluminum based product?

Which is less paletable?

Maybe both, but since alum tans are older than George Roof maybe there is something you can think about.

I have some alum tanned leather that I pulled out of the old wagon shed, where Great Grandpa hung it in in 1949, its still usable too. Part of an old hames, plow harness. It has been there since I can remember and my Grandpa never moved it, I can count forty years I do know of.

My bet is its aluminum sulphate tanned. Heck its laid in a washtub of water for almost ten years. drying out getting wet repeating that cycle.

So what the best tan?
The one you learn and are happy with.

Ben Dover, you're a waste of intelligence

This response submitted by George on 4/3/05 at 10:42 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.74

In fact to show your complete stupidity, VEGETABLE tans were some of the first and are now left in identifiable remnants from cavemen, the ice man, and from the Indian tribes here in North America. In fact the word TAN comes from tannin which in turn comes from TANNIC ACID. Obviously Ben isn't smart enough to understand that tannic acid is a naturally occuring chemical of vegetable matter, i.e. bark, fruit, or seeds of PLANTS.

The BEST tan is the tan that pleases YOU most. No one with half a brain is going to tell you that his or her method of tanning is the BEST, rather that it's the "best that they've found" which means it's the best in THEIR OPINION. I eschew the alum tans as they tend to deteriorate over time (Try to find some of Hornady's mounts today if you can. They were all lost due to alum tans self-destruction.) Alum certainly plays a part in many tans because of its astringent qualities and oiling obviously delays the inevitable, but I just think there are better choices available to the modern taxidermist.

Now your statement about tanneries destroying your hides may be true to some extent, but even you admit to your own destruction. Destroyed is destroyed no matter who did it. If you get into the African work or the bears or the high dollar wild sheep, or the buffalo or the big elk, you're going to quickly realize that there are some worse things than the inherent dangers of tanning commercially. If you screw up a stone sheep cape, it's going to be pretty ugly for your bank account. It the tanner, through some fault like a chipped shaving blade, cuts a chunk out of the sheep cape, then the tanner will usually find a replacement for you. With the bears, it's still my opinion that no home tan method is anywhere close as good as a commercial piece and it's certainly a lot less messy.

My advice is for you to avoid advice from people like this clown Ben Dover. He knows just enough to be dangerous to himself and others and listening to him will have you stuck in the Dark Ages.

Good meeting you at the Show George

This response submitted by oldshaver on 4/3/05 at 1:51 PM. ( ) 207.69.0.173

Im the guy that introduced himself as the jackass you talk to on the net sometimes. Hope you knew I wasnt calling you a jackass.LOL Got to meet Yox too. Talked to him for 10 or 15 minutes. One of the nicest guys you could meet. Cant really understand anyone having a problem with him.

good going George

This response submitted by John W. on 4/3/05 at 2:12 PM. ( ) 12.214.100.89

I agree totally with George,he's done his homework plus he's been around forever-L.O.L.

You better listen to George

This response submitted by Bob on 4/3/05 at 2:30 PM. ( ) 69.68.124.48

You better listen to George, he knows it all! George is nothing but a prick! Calling someone a waste of intelligence. If you would read what Ben Dover said it's the almost the same thing you said. At the end of Bens reply he says -" So what the best tan?
The one you learn and are happy with.) George says -"The BEST tan is the tan that pleases YOU most. No one with half a brain is going to tell you that his or her method of tanning is the BEST, rather that it's the "best that they've found" which means it's the best in THEIR OPINION.) SAME THING GEORGE! George says "In fact to show your complete stupidity, VEGETABLE tans were some of the first and are now left in identifiable remnants from cavemen, the ice man, and from the Indian tribes here in North America. In fact the word TAN comes from tannin which in turn comes from TANNIC ACID. Obviously Ben isn't smart enough to understand that tannic acid is a naturally occuring chemical of vegetable matter, i.e. bark, fruit, or seeds of PLANTS) Ben never said that another tanning method came before vegetable tans, all Ben says is that alum tans have been around for several hundred years. Now who is a waste of intelligence? George read carefully and think about what you say because you only make yourself seem unintelligent. What Ben was saying about the alum tan is that is what he prefers, where is the waste of intelligence there? I don't see it.

Not at all OS

This response submitted by George on 4/3/05 at 2:33 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.133

It was good meeting you as well and I'm glad you got to meet Bill and see that he actually IS a great guy. He still needs to get back on here and help me protect some of our new people from guys like Mr. Dover here. LMAO.

And Bob, I'm sorry about your masculinity problems

This response submitted by George on 4/3/05 at 5:22 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.74

Your hero Ben tried to mock vegetable tans in case (obviously) you missed that little part and tried to extol alum. His "research" on the lifespan of alum was almost laughable and any nitwit knows that alum tans will wash out of a hide if submersed for any length of time. And I'll take being a prick any day over what you are.

Your too easy pal.

This response submitted by duckfeathers on 4/3/05 at 6:35 PM. ( ) 70.20.247.146

Of course you have to know that a lot of these responders are only playing games. Bend Over this time Dumest Bhasstard the next.

Ahhh...it is good...

This response submitted by David Patton on 4/3/05 at 8:07 PM. ( ) 12.76.211.148

...To see that things are back to normal on the Taxi.net!.

Welcome back everyone, I hope the WTC was as good as I have been reading about.

Now, back to business.

Get 'em George!

OS, no comment on the Alum talk? Just going to leave that one alone for now?

Bob thats a little rough

This response submitted by paul e on 4/4/05 at 7:56 AM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 66.157.43.207

calling George that i believe is crossing the line
Go GEORGE go!

Some syn-tans

This response submitted by oldshaver on 4/4/05 at 9:13 PM. ( ) 207.69.15.177

are nothing but alum that has been polymerized to raise the T's temp(the temp at wich a small piece of leather will curl in hot water). Just incase anyone wanted to know that, if they dont already. Polymerized with what? Cant tell you that. There are many being developed all the time. The leather industry is trying to move towards a more enviromentally friendly tan, than the chrome tan. Their chrome recovery systems just arent getting it, not to mention their cost. Hence the developement of polymers for alum. They are already using a chrome-alum combination to cut down on waste. And no, I didnt just pull this out of the air.

George...

This response submitted by Drew on 4/7/05 at 7:21 PM. ( ) 66.213.218.226

George, why doesn't your contract contain the line "I do not guarantee tanning, all tanning done at owner's risk"?

That way, even if a Stone Sheep gets jacked up from tanning, or slips, you are not liable.

Return to Tanning Category Menu