coyote hide

Submitted by matt on 4/9/05 at 10:59 PM. ( ) 65.111.194.144

just wondering if someone could give me input on removing meat and fat the most effective way without buying an expensive flesher?Just got done spending several hours in removing meat and fat from the coyote hide.. My fingers are sore... I used scissors, knife and my hands prior to pickling.. After pickling the electric knife was somewhat successful. Does anyone have a taxidermy expertise in safing some time yet having the most effective technique to remove meat and fat from these hides. Again not refering to any fleshing machines or perhaps highpsi washers as such?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Matt

This response submitted by Coyote on 4/10/05 at 10:28 AM. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.14.89.168

like George told you in the other post. You need a fleshing beam and fleshing knife. The beams are rather simple to build yourself. Get a 1x6 and use a belt sander with a course belt to round it off, then hand sand it smooth. And for the fleshing knife you can purchase one for around $40.00 to $45.00. I used a large curved spoke shave for some animals, I got from my grandfather. But since I bought my fleshing machine most of the othe equipment doesn't get used like it did before. Besides fleshing a coyote really all that difficult. Just make sure when skinning it that you stay close to the skin. You shouldn't have all that much fleshing to do. After your first salting, and you shake off the salt. Put the hide back on the fleshing beam. This will remove any of the membrane left on the skin.

Coyote

wire wheel on grinder

This response submitted by terryr on 4/10/05 at 5:32 PM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

$65 at menard's -will also work on deer and water buffalo and bobocats and cheetah's and beavers - wont work on anything else though (LOL)

coyote hide

This response submitted by matt on 4/10/05 at 9:58 PM. ( ) 65.111.195.99

thanks for the input and so does my fingers

Drywall Scraper

This response submitted by Joe on 4/26/05 at 7:18 PM. ( ) 154.20.184.159

I am a beginner and I made my own fleshing beam but don't have access to fleshing knives. What I used on my coyote is a drywall scraper. Just grind off any sharp edges and it gets under the fat and meat and it does a fast and good job.

Return to Tanning Category Menu