having probs with McKenzie not being soft

Submitted by Matt on 4/10/05 at 10:26 PM. ( ) 216.93.96.66

I have been using McKenzie tan and i am oiling with McKenzie oil after tanning. I tumble the skins in a dryer with no heat with corn cob grit. Next, as the skin dries, I pull and tug on the skin and i can tell when its working when its started to dry out and i can see the fibers turning white from stretching them. But after i do this over the next couple of days, when its all dry, it just seems hard to me from some of the tans that ive seen for wallhangers. I am mainly conserned because i have been doing some wallhangers and i am not getting the softness i want. i let the tan and the oil sink in overnight too. I guess i am goin to try some ez 100 because i hear its soft when using it. Also what kind of oil should i use with it, softskin or proplus. Do you guys know what i mean by this McKenzie tan and oil for wallhangers? Anyone else experiencing this?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

You're not breaking the hide

This response submitted by George on 4/10/05 at 10:37 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

Your tumbler is too small (needs to be about 8 feet in diameter) and you simply not breaking the hide sufficiently. Click the orange SEARCH icon and type in "breaking a hide" and see what will cure your problems.

McKenzie oil

This response submitted by Mark V. on 4/11/05 at 11:53 PM. ( mtmmvruno@lakeland.ws ) 64.33.152.94

Matt, I do not think its the tan or the oil at all. It could be your skins aren't thinned enough. I use a autotanner with tanning crystals and use McKenzie oil exclusively. My wallhanger skins are softer using McKenzie oil than any other I have tried. There is very minimal shrinkage and the stretch is excellent. I have been using the oil for about 3 months on on all capes and skins. Shaving the skin is very critcal especially for wallhangers. The 8 ft. tumbler is a great idea for someone who has time to build one or afford one. Not really necessary if your hides are properly shaved. I have not tried the McKenzie tan but I think the oil is right in with it so you don't have to do a second oiling.Good luck,Mark

Its the tan

This response submitted by John W. on 4/12/05 at 11:48 AM. ( ) 12.214.100.89

I talked to Mike Gillis at McKenzie about this very same problem,the hide not being soft enough.I have never had a problem with using liqua-tan for a nice soft hide,but the McKenzie Tan,I have rewet hides, reoiled and the hides still come out too hard.

I finally got them soft

This response submitted by Matt on 4/12/05 at 4:33 PM. ( ) 216.93.76.51

i worked them vigorously over an axe in a vice and now they are soft. Thanks guys for all your help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu