Krowtan question

Submitted by oreo on 4/12/05 at 4:06 PM. ( ) 208.63.111.100

I have tanned a few deer hides in krowtann and have noticed that they are quite a bit tough to get onto the mannikin. I am thinking that this stuff is shrinking my hides. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem? I am thinking of maybe buying a little bit smaller mannikin next time to see if that would help. I think someone said that this was an alum tann, so I am thinking that it would draw it a little.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Havent

This response submitted by Kim C. on 4/12/05 at 4:11 PM. ( ekcollins@direcway.com ) 128.192.139.89

had any problems are you using enough baking soda and soaking them long enough in it for good stetch.
Kim

I agree

This response submitted by Travis on 4/12/05 at 8:09 PM. ( ) 130.76.96.19

if ya don`t have stretch there are two things that could be happening...one you aren`t shaving them thin enough---two--your not neutralizing long enough..

Resize your skin before ya mount it...lay it down on a flat surface and run a flat tool across your skin out to the edges of where ya made you`re incision...you`ll gain alot just by doing that.

had the same problem...

This response submitted by terryr on 4/13/05 at 12:34 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

with krowtann - went back to dp for deer

stretch it hard and all around

This response submitted by paul e on 4/13/05 at 7:35 AM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.117.101

krowtann is easy but it wont mount the deer for you
i would guess you are probably fleshing by hand
if so you will have a tougher time in geneneral getting all the stretch back
but ive found a couple of things work really well
first make sure youve neutralized enough
try the baking soda again
then after youve fleshed use some krowoil
let it soak in for a couple of hours then freeze for a couple of weeks
the day you take your skin out try some of Van Dykes hide relaxing
compound
give cape a quick wash i wash and agitate for about 5 to ten minutes
then roll up in a towel or tumble
tnen lay the skin on a flat surface and take your tape measure out
take a measurement behind the ears
then start pullint to make this measurement bigger
youll be pleasently suprised as to how big you can get the cape
when i use this procedure i almost always gey a slightly bigger cape
than when it was green
remember though pull that cape and stretch all the way around

Read the directions inn the WASCO CATALOG

This response submitted by You will get far more stretch on 4/13/05 at 9:24 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

As I talked with Anthony at Ozark Woods the other day, he said many people will call and complain about no stretch. They claim to have use most of the information on the suggestion sheet. It is not a suggestion sheet, IT IS THE DIRECTIONS!

If you will flollow them you will get to much stretch! Oh it works very well.

Directions were followed

This response submitted by oreo on 4/13/05 at 12:15 PM. ( ) 208.63.111.100

I followed directions to the letter and even did the neutralizeing twice. It was shaved as thin as possible with a fleshing machine. I have talked to Ozark Woods and they are very nice and friendly. I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same problem. I just wanted to know if there was a problem with the product or if it was just me. Tried to survey around to see if anyone else was having the same problem and you all ways have some bastard that does not know all the facts try and tell you how to read when they can not even write or even speak good english.

Oreo

This response submitted by - on 4/13/05 at 12:34 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.58

All alum tans shrink the skin. It's not you, it's the tan. Wash the skin thoroughly at least 3 times with Dawn and water for at least 30 minutes of soaking to get all that crap out of the skin. Then, re-tan, using a different tan.

OREO Van Dykes hide relax compound may help

This response submitted by paul e on 4/13/05 at 1:31 PM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.117.101

Oreo the first deer i did seamed like you described
so
on the second i already had some hide relaxing compound so
i tried it and it did wonders i also oiled that time
the hide relaxing stuff is made for alum skins according to the directions
so do yourself a favor and get some krowoil and compound
i think from personnal experience that this will really help
dont give up on the krowtann the stuff sets hair like ive never seen
before and all the lip and eye epidermis stays solid

Return to Tanning Category Menu