Rehydrate

Submitted by Jeff w on 4/13/05 at 5:48 PM. ( jeffwal_2000@yahoo.com ) 68.255.155.197

I could not find an answer in the archives for my specific question.
Can I rehydrate salt dried deer hides in my acid bath for pickling,
or do I have to rehydrate in a salt and water only solution first?

Thanks much
jeff

Return to Tanning Category Menu

one opinion

This response submitted by Mr. T on 4/13/05 at 8:50 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.122

I like to rehydrate my salt dried capes in salt water, then rince out the blood and mud,dirt,loose hair and such, then go to the pickle with a clean cape. If you bring all that dirt and crud that is on a salt dried cape into the pickle, it has to fight to kill that stuff too. A clean pickle is better than a dirty pickle. This rule can be used in another room in you're house also.... grin,,

Pickles do not relax - they firm!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 4/13/05 at 9:09 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.138.200

The purpose of a pickle is to adjust the PH of the cape before its tanned and to allow you time to wash and degrease it if neccessary, as well as firm it for shaving. It should be relaxed before its put into the pickle. That way it is ready to absorb the pickling acid and salt immediately - and remain intact, as well as temporarily preserved. My advice - dont relax in the pickle!

No

This response submitted by John on 4/13/05 at 9:10 PM. ( ) 68.206.86.155

I have tried to skip that step too and it sucked. The hide would never completely rehydrate and it was a pain in the butt to shave the initial go around. Just my opinion and I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong. I don't recommend it.

Thank you

This response submitted by jeff w on 4/13/05 at 11:03 PM. ( jeffwal_2000 ) 68.255.86.195

I will do it the right way. I wasn't trying to skip a step, I was just fearful of hair slipage without a firming pickle. The hides are
2 yr's old and have never been frozen, but I am so glad I asked.
(Hate to experiment on a customer's prize).

Thanks again, very much appreciated.
Jeff w

put striaght into..

This response submitted by terryr on 4/15/05 at 1:17 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

pickle - have NEVER had a problem - especially with krowtann - relaxes fine

What?

This response submitted by John on 4/15/05 at 8:09 PM. ( ) 68.206.80.72

Don't listen to this last comment. It was obviously not salted rock hard. Especially if he uses Krowtann. Krowtann says to skip the salting. Terry, read more before you comment.

Return to Tanning Category Menu