hides went hard after tumbling

Submitted by John w on 4/15/05 at 8:21 PM. ( ) 65.93.19.196

Hi I just tanned a few boar hides.I used pro plus oil.I tumbled the hides in sawdust .The problem I have is they are going hard and am not sure how to fix this problem.Did I not oil properly can they be reoiled and tumbled or what can I do to soften them up Any help would really be great.I tumbled for about a half hour each.Thanks for any help I can get.John W

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Tumbler Size

This response submitted by John on 4/15/05 at 9:03 PM. ( ) 68.206.80.72

If your tumbler is too small it will not break the hide.

oil penetration

This response submitted by oldshaver on 4/15/05 at 9:13 PM. ( ) 65.190.191.227

Moisture?

I have a lot of questions!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 4/15/05 at 11:57 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.204

Before anyone can answer your question - we'd have to ask a few.

How big is your Tumbler? (Asked above)
Was it a converted Dryer - with heat?
Did you let the skins dry until they were 95% dry before tumbling?
Then tumble them for 2 hours?
Did you apply the oil - let it "sweat" in folded for 3-4 hours before
hanging them to dry?
After they were tanned - did you attempt to wash them? Or after
oiling?

Yes they can be reoiled, dried and tumbled again - but before you reoil them they must be rehydrated so the oil can penetrate and displace the moisture in the skin.

To rehydrate soak the skin in enough water to submerge them - and add a handful of Salt (4 ozs. by weight) per each 1 gallon of Water. Saok the skin for 30 minutes, remove, drain for 5-10 minutes, then bag in a plastic garbage bag, tie it off and refrigerate (not freeze) it overnight. The next day it will be ready to reoil. However, always apply the oil when the skin is at room temp - not out of the Frig!

Return to Tanning Category Menu