Finished Black Bear Tanning - what should it look like?

Submitted by first_home_tan on 4/17/05 at 5:22 PM. ( ) 216.209.236.52

I've been working on a black bear hide. Long story, but sending it out was/is not an option, I have to do it myself.... I've fleshed, salted, resalted, degreased, etc. and now used Liqua-tan to tan it. I was wondering what the finished product is supposed to look like. It's not getting real cardboard hard like I've seen other hides do, and it's not getting that creamy-tan "tanned" look like say a deer hide would get. But being a bear, is it supposed to do that, or is it going to stay a darker colour? I just want to know if what I'm seeing is to be expected using Liqua-tan, or if I have some other sort of problem.

Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Did you pickle?

This response submitted by Janie on 4/17/05 at 10:26 PM. ( ) 64.242.60.17

Don't see where you pickled (such as using Saftee Acid for one).....after the salting and degreasing?

"etc." covered that

This response submitted by first_home_tan on 4/18/05 at 6:42 AM. ( ) 216.209.236.5

Yes I did pickle it. I was told I didn't even have to if I used liqua-tan, then I was told if I could that I should pickle it for about 10-14 days or so.... so I compromised and pickled for a week. This morning I checked it again and it's finally starting to dry out and getting stiffer. I did some searching on the forum and some people say it takes weeks for a bear to dry, so, I think I'm alright, just impatient.
When I break it, it goes that nice tannish colour, so I'm sure by the time I'm done with it it'll look like I thought it should.

Thanks

degreaser

This response submitted by Travis on 4/18/05 at 6:36 PM. ( ) 130.76.96.14

What did you use to degrease it? I used mineral spirits and it worked like a charm...I don`t think there are many commercial degreasers that will actually degrease a bear good enough...if there is alot of grease left in the skin it may never dry..

liqua tan

This response submitted by Travis on 4/18/05 at 9:19 PM. ( ) 130.76.96.19

I`m not sure who told ya didn`t need to pickle if you use liqua tan but I would have to STRONGLY disagree with that....the only problems I ever had with liqua tan was when I didn`t pickle at least 3 days..

liqua tan

This response submitted by Travis on 4/18/05 at 9:19 PM. ( ) 130.76.96.19

I`m not sure who told ya didn`t need to pickle if you use liqua tan but I would have to STRONGLY disagree with that....the only problems I ever had with liqua tan was when I didn`t pickle at least 3 days..

Return to Tanning Category Menu