To go or stay?

Submitted by Gary on 4/24/05 at 7:10 PM. ( sandstonejunkie@yahoo.com ) 70.106.56.164

Had to leave town in a rush early Sat. morning due to my 1st grandson trying to arrive 5 days early, I had 3 deer hides in the pickle, I checked the PH right before I left and it was at 1.5, The wife is wanting to stay here till Tuesday. Would the Ph increase too high by then? The skins have already been shaved, I had already adjusted the Ph from 2.5 back down to 1.5 after I shaved them. Would it be safe? By the way, He did arrive early, 8lb 2oz,

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Gary

This response submitted by Wildwood on 4/24/05 at 7:42 PM. ( ) 4.224.72.176

Assuming that they were in the pickle three or more days prior to shaving and enough time to stable back out after you returned them which I assume because you lowered the ph you should be fine. I very rarely have to adjust more than once after shaving. If your in doubt have someone check on them, I done that to. Congratulations on your new grandson.

Acid Bath Crystals

This response submitted by Gary on 4/24/05 at 9:43 PM. ( sandstonejunkie@yahoo.com ) 70.106.56.164

They soaked for 24 hrs, was taken out one at a time and shaved Friday evening, returned to the pickle by 9pm, I then checked the ph and lowered it 1 point as mentioned above. I then checked it 6 hrs later right before I left for MD, it was still showing 1.5 and the salinity was at 45. I would hate to lose 3 capes but the we would like to be here for a few days after the little one is brought home from the hospital. I guess I can replace a few capes if worse comes to worse but will never be able to replace this time being with my family. It is a no-brainer, I guess I just worry too much. Thanks for the input.

if they are fleshed they will be OK

This response submitted by Laurier Houle on 4/25/05 at 9:32 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.11

you can leave it for long periods of time.
with no problems.Always keep the P.H. 1.5 to 2.5

Return to Tanning Category Menu