Making Leather after tanning

Submitted by Mike on 4/29/05 at 4:35 PM. ( ) 209.215.39.17

I've fleshed my Deer Cape, Ive soaked it in the New Stuff KROWTANN 2000 for 3 (three) Days. Ive Neutralized as directed, now I want to make it soaft just like leather.... I'm not doing a mount... I just simply want to make it soft and flexable... What steps do I take from here? Stretch it out nail it to a large peace of plywood? Let it dry? Then WHAT? HELP?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

More Research

This response submitted by John on 4/29/05 at 9:50 PM. ( ) 68.206.87.230

I'm not trying to be a smart alec but you should have done more research. You are looking at alot of back breaking WORK! Why are you soft tanning a cape anyway? A cape is the head, neck, and shoulders of the deer for a shoulder mount. My opinion, but I don't think Krowtann is the right thing to use for soft tanning. You need to get some good tanning oil like Knoblochs #1.
<<<<=======Go to the orange button and type in breaking hides. You're gonna have alot of reading ahead of you.

Use a good oil

This response submitted by John W. on 4/30/05 at 7:02 PM. ( ) 12.214.100.89

Mike, I have not personally used Krowtann ,but I'm sure it will work fine if you use a good softning oil.You will have to break the hide if you want it soft,theres no getting around this step,start breaking when it gets damp dry.If you allow the hide to get too hard before you start breaking,just rewet the hide and try again.

krow oil

This response submitted by paul on 5/1/05 at 7:44 AM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

it does work for making a nice soft pliable leather in conjunction with the krowtan, i just looked at a pc of scrap deer hide i did about 3 yrs ago and its still soft and pliable like a commercially tanned hide. you will need to break the skin! work it over the edge of a shovel blade mounted to your work bench or the sharp edge of a table until it softens up, hey have fun and find out for yourself why a good tannery is well worth the money spent

Return to Tanning Category Menu