just curious

Submitted by jody on 5/2/05 at 9:38 PM. ( jl_dozier@sbcglobal.net ) 68.93.144.78

i watched someone pickle with formic acid neutralize and then put the cape in relaxer for a few minutes drained fleshed then mounted it without putting oil or a paint on tan.is there something about this method thats wrong.i thought you were to tan after pickling.do people do this?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

If there's a Will,There's a Way

This response submitted by Sam on 5/2/05 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

I have heard of people doing that too, but it would require some major hide pasting to keep it from drumming and wrinkling. Heres a clip from George:
"I know of a very reputable and nationally aclaimed taxidermist who mounted 3 capes (one raw, one DP, and one tanned) about 25 years ago just to see how they would fare. Some of the "icons" here won't like to hear he reports that from across the room, he can't seen any difference in any of the three mounts."
Pickled would be the next step up from raw, so I guess it would probably work if you figure out how to do it. I guess if you figure out how to do something with good results, go ahead and do it.
Peace Love Happiness ~Sam~

Return to Tanning Category Menu