otter pelt tanned improperly-any fix?

Submitted by LS on 5/2/05 at 9:51 PM. ( l.schmutz@att.net ) 12.73.206.19

I recently purchased a tanned otter pelt on ebay, only to receive it and discover that is was more like a dog chew than a soft pelt. The otter is inside out and almost has the appearance of being "basted" with a brown, sticky surface. It is as stiff as a board. It was purchased for use in Native American regalia, but is useless as is. Does anyone have any ideas of a way to soften this pelt and make it useful? Thank you.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

otter

This response submitted by Darrell on 5/2/05 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 204.112.217.67

Soundes like your otter is air dryed raw needes to be tanned

If it's supposed to be tanned - retan it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 5/3/05 at 12:12 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.138

I'd simply retan it. But this time use a proven tan on it. My suggestion would be using our EZ-100 on it. It produces a soft, white leathered skin that lasts indefinitely and can be washed if its to be used for regalia.

Use our EZ-2000 Kit. Except for Salt and Baking Soda - it has all the ingredients needed to do a good tan. If you would like to review the instructions for our Kit - Please e-mail me and I will copy and paste them for you. My e-mail address is: Rittel@mindspring.com

Please put something in your subject saying "tanning"!

Return to Tanning Category Menu