Shampoo after tan?

Submitted by Bill on 5/2/05 at 10:41 PM. ( themotzers@comcast.net ) 69.248.162.70

I have tanned a few squirrels with lutan-f and when I go to put them on the form Im noticing alot of hair coming out. This tan leaves the hair very tacky and just taxiing the skin on Im pulling alot of hair out and have some slipping on the arms from pulling the skin over the manikin. Can I use a shampoo on the skins after tanning to get rid of this or will I wash the tan out?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Lutan F!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 5/3/05 at 12:21 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.138

Lutan F is not considered washable - so instead of a Shampoo or Conditioner I would "dry clean" it! Otherwise the high alkalinity of the Shampoo or Conditioner may wash out the Lutan F.

Instead - after tanning, allow the skins to drain for 1-2 hours, apply your oil - then fold and sweat in the oil. Then get a plastic garbage bag (if you dont have a tumbler) and put sawdust in it. Add a little Odorless Mineral Spirits until its damp but not soggy - and put your akins in the bag and tie it off. Bounce the skins around for 5 minutes -then blow them off. Now you can either freeze the skin and mount it later! Or - you can prep it and mount it now! Or - you can hang it to dry and rehydrate it later and then prep and mount it!

If you need instructions to safely rehydrate a tanned skin - e-mail me! My address is: Rittel@mindspring.com

Return to Tanning Category Menu