Tanning a Lifesize bear

Submitted by Steve on 5/7/05 at 12:05 PM. ( ) 142.165.101.64

I have a life size bear I shot to do a wet tan on to mount. This is my first tan job. I have heard tonns of opinions on this topic such as salting (before fleshing) then pickleing, nutralizing, fleshing and tanning. Does anyone have a source for the proper steps? What is the proper ingredients for the pickle? And what tanning is the best (EZ tan, Liqui, Mackenzie?)

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Steve

This response submitted by Jack F on 5/7/05 at 12:33 PM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

Believe me when I say they are the worst to try and tan yourself if you have no experiance at tanning. The best I can tell you is get it froze untill your ready to do the job. I send all my bears out now to a good tannery. Jack F

The answers are here, but the order you haveX

This response submitted by Sarah on 5/7/05 at 1:03 PM. ( http://rittelsupplies.net ) 70.178.74.104

"salting (before fleshing) then pickleing, nutralizing, fleshing and tanning." Not right.

You need to remove the fat, donot cut the hair roots, you will see them if you cut them.

Salt on a slanted board, head needs to be uphill from the rest of the bear to make sure the fluids drain off the hide.

Pickle under 3.0, you must check often the first three days to keep the pH under 3.0.

I really like the Acid Bath Crystals from WASCO, the work super and are affordable, just be sure you have fresh pH strips and salt from the local feed and farm supply. 2lbs per gallon on the salt.

As for the correct amount of ABC, it depends on your water, that is why you must have the pH strips.

FLESH this is where you do the final fleshing.

REPICKLE, yes it needs to go back into the pickle for several more days.

Degrease.

Check your fleshing job, once you are happy that the skin is thin enough and the pickle has done the job, proceed.

Neutralize to a pH of 5.0, not any higher!

A. Now is the time for your tanning vat, do not over tan or you can loose stretch.

B. Paint on tan. Your choice.

save yourself a lot of B.S.

This response submitted by Laurier on 5/8/05 at 11:31 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.69

call me at (705)476-0483 I've been tanning our own work for over 32 years , done Hundreds and hundreds of bears. Not hard to do call me and I will walk you through it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu