Tumbling Bear hides

Submitted by Jeff on 5/27/05 at 11:04 PM. ( ) 142.165.115.88

Like the previous posting I too am interested in tanning my own bears at some point. A couple of questions though. When you soak a bear in degreaser, is all that doing is melting the bear grease and allowing it to float to the top of the solution? After the hide is tanned, by spinning it in a tumbler with saw dust, will that cause the hide to become soft, fit for a rug? Thanks :-)

Return to Tanning Category Menu

bare tanning

This response submitted by ej on 5/28/05 at 12:10 AM. ( [] ) 216.114.124.121

do not rely on the tumbling to do all the softening of the bear hide. you will be disappointed.
rather call bruce and get some grease enzyme from him. this is a slow degreasing process that remains in the pickel for the duration. i would pickel at least 90 days and stir as often as you can.
then be careful and not over tan. use a negative charged tan. then pour on the hot positively charged oil. i reccomend bruces super soft oil. dry. then tumble
ej

90 days in pickle?

This response submitted by oldshaver on 5/28/05 at 5:22 PM. ( ) 24.163.38.28

Whats that all about? How do I need to shave this particular bear? How long do I tumble, or can I tumble it at all, without the bear having as much hair (coming thru) on the skin side, as I do the hair side? I swear, some of you guys no just enough to be dangerous!

no shaving needed.

This response submitted by ej on 5/28/05 at 5:46 PM. ( [] ) 216.114.124.121

better yet if you can afford, pickel for 180 days.
adding bruces enzyme every 30 days, and still stiring as often as posible. no hair coming thru because no shaving nessessary. just make sure it is fleshed perfectly, and if the hide is prime it will be thick soft and beautiful. remember to add nine cups of hot water to 4.5 gal. of corn cob flour. a little oxy clean and nine drops of your favorite fortified shampoo will give it a sheen out of this world.
ej

ej

This response submitted by oldshaver on 5/29/05 at 9:12 AM. ( ) 24.163.38.28

I saw in an earlier post that you were a pro tanner. You might be a nice guy, I dont know, but a professional tanner you aint! Take a big blk bear, with a neck 3/8 of a inch thick, leave it in pickle for a couple of weeks(which I wouldnt reccomend). The pickle will penetrate, but the tan wont without shaving. Another words, you got a bear with the surface of the skin neutralized, and tanned, and the rest of the skin full of acid! If the enzyme product you are refering to, takes THAT long to work, it isnt worth the cost of the lable on the bottle. I wouldnt leave a hippo, 2 inches thick, in pickle for 3 months. The epidermis will be coming off in sheets. Basically all you are doing, is rugging, or mounting, a pickled skin, with very little tan.

Return to Tanning Category Menu