Can you tan a snake in Antifreeze?

Submitted by Chris on 5/29/05 at 4:29 PM. ( )

I heard the "mountain man" way instead of using a tanning kit is just putting it in a glass jar with antifreeze. Does this work?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I looked in the archives

This response submitted by Chris on 5/29/05 at 4:33 PM. ( )

And it is debatable whether it tans or temporarily softens it. So this way won't work long term? I'm just curious, I won't tan a skin this way for a customer or anyone else, I just wanted to hear if it is one way to have a finished snake skin that's garage-hangable.

I didn't know...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 5/29/05 at 5:32 PM. ( )

That "mountain men" had antifreeze. And no antifreeze does not work to tan the skin. The only way to "tan" it would be to buy a snake skin tanning kit. Joe

This response submitted by John on 5/29/05 at 5:51 PM. ( )

You can use mammal tanning chemicals. The snake tanning kits are glycerin and not really tanned just preserved. I used Rittels EZ 100 and made real leather not just a preserved skin. You might try Rittels snake tan. It might actually be a tan. If it's just for a garage hanger: Flesh really good, stretch it out, pin it down and pour borax on and let it dry.

old question

This response submitted by Mr. T on 5/29/05 at 10:54 PM. ( )

here is a past question and answer.

Did I blow it?
Submitted by Joe Brummel on 09/23/2002. ( )
I killed a small timber rattler today.
after skinning it I put it in antifreeze thinking that it was the right thing to do, upon reading all the text on the subjet contained within this web site, it would apper that I may have ruined the skin
any advise on salvageing the skin would be greatly appreciated

Joe Brummel
Mariposa CA

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

This response submitted by George on 09/23/2002. ( )
Be so kind and tell all of us what website, newpaper, toilet stall, or whatever the suggestion to "tan" snake skins in anti-freeze came from. Yours is only about the 25th to appear on these forums in the past year or so. There's a great probability you've lost your treasure as the effects of the ethylene glycol have already had to have had some effect on the prime condition of the skin.

I use Rittell's EZ-Tan

This response submitted by Ernie Kuhn on 5/30/05 at 8:28 AM. ( )

I had a 16 ft python I did 2 years ago. I called Bruce and he told me The ez-tan would do the job. Had to shave the thicker skin down the belly. Followed the directions as if it was a small mammal.
Citric acid picle shaved.degreased and placed back in pickle, nuetrualized and double oiled it. 1'st oiling I hung the skin up and let dry, breaking and working the skin so it was soft . And then re-oiled and did the same.
Nice soft snale skin. Customer loves it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu