Can you tan a snake in Antifreeze?

Submitted by Chris on 5/29/05 at 4:29 PM. ( ) 24.107.109.169

I heard the "mountain man" way instead of using a tanning kit is just putting it in a glass jar with antifreeze. Does this work?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I looked in the archives

This response submitted by Chris on 5/29/05 at 4:33 PM. ( ) 24.107.109.169

And it is debatable whether it tans or temporarily softens it. So this way won't work long term? I'm just curious, I won't tan a skin this way for a customer or anyone else, I just wanted to hear if it is one way to have a finished snake skin that's garage-hangable.

I didn't know...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 5/29/05 at 5:32 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

That "mountain men" had antifreeze. And no antifreeze does not work to tan the skin. The only way to "tan" it would be to buy a snake skin tanning kit. Joe

Actually

This response submitted by John on 5/29/05 at 5:51 PM. ( ) 68.206.85.16

You can use mammal tanning chemicals. The snake tanning kits are glycerin and not really tanned just preserved. I used Rittels EZ 100 and made real leather not just a preserved skin. You might try Rittels snake tan. It might actually be a tan. If it's just for a garage hanger: Flesh really good, stretch it out, pin it down and pour borax on and let it dry.

old question

This response submitted by Mr. T on 5/29/05 at 10:54 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.28

here is a past question and answer.

Did I blow it?
Submitted by Joe Brummel on 09/23/2002. ( ) 209.155.205.90
I killed a small timber rattler today.
after skinning it I put it in antifreeze thinking that it was the right thing to do, upon reading all the text on the subjet contained within this web site, it would apper that I may have ruined the skin
any advise on salvageing the skin would be greatly appreciated

Joe Brummel
Mariposa CA

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe
This response submitted by George on 09/23/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.196
Be so kind and tell all of us what website, newpaper, toilet stall, or whatever the suggestion to "tan" snake skins in anti-freeze came from. Yours is only about the 25th to appear on these forums in the past year or so. There's a great probability you've lost your treasure as the effects of the ethylene glycol have already had to have had some effect on the prime condition of the skin.

I use Rittell's EZ-Tan

This response submitted by Ernie Kuhn on 5/30/05 at 8:28 AM. ( ) 65.167.46.182

I had a 16 ft python I did 2 years ago. I called Bruce and he told me The ez-tan would do the job. Had to shave the thicker skin down the belly. Followed the directions as if it was a small mammal.
Citric acid picle shaved.degreased and placed back in pickle, nuetrualized and double oiled it. 1'st oiling I hung the skin up and let dry, breaking and working the skin so it was soft . And then re-oiled and did the same.
Nice soft snale skin. Customer loves it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu