EAGER BEAVER

Submitted by DEAN on 5/31/05 at 8:41 PM. ( ) 24.175.120.117

I am trying to find out if anyone besides myself is waiting on a EAGER-BEAVER flesher.I ordered and paid for mine 5 weeks ago and cannot get a answer at STUART MANUFACTURING not even a answering machine.I would like to know if this is the way they do business and if anyone else has had the same problem.

Thanks for any replies.
Dean

Return to Tanning Category Menu

should have bought a Rawhide

This response submitted by os on 5/31/05 at 9:08 PM. ( ) 65.190.184.58

An eager beaver is not all its cracked up to be, in my opinion. From what what I have seen, down the road, you will have problems, especially if you use it regularly. Its coating starts flaking off, and the swing arm adjustment on the left side will cause you problems. Just an opinion.

I think

This response submitted by John on 5/31/05 at 10:44 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.3

that each one is built as they are ordered. Ask Bruce Rittel. He sells it.

I doubt that OS

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 6/1/05 at 6:10 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 70.105.196.203

I have mine for over 5 years and never a problem and yes I use it way too much.
If you have problems why not clean it and then maybe it will work better. If that doesn't take care of it then call them up and ask why? That might solve your problems with it.

Bruce Rittel was in Alaska

This response submitted by Pirate on 6/1/05 at 10:08 AM. ( ) 151.196.98.42

Bruce had placed a message on this site about a week or so ago that said he was in Alaska working on a project. He said that he would not be answering e-mails as normal because of the location he was at. I have an eager beaver and it took about 8-10 weeks. John is right they are built as they are ordered and they do take a while to get. Bruce is a stand up guy, you won't have any problems. It is an excellant machine and well worth the wait.

My first truck...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 6/1/05 at 6:02 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

was a 1977 Chevy C20 3/4 ton PU. I paid $650.00 in 1993. I took real good care of it and washed it every week and changed the oil every 3000 miles, with every oil change I also greased all the bearings and cleaned the carb with spray on cleaner. all oil leaks were fixed as I found them. once a year I would change the fluid in the tranny and rear end and change the engine belts. On my 18th birthday (back in 95) I took some of my birthday money and bought a Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill $450.00 and cleaned the grates, and bottom tray after each use and the flavor bars, outside of the grill and the burner tubes once a year. I had to dig it out of a snow bank more than once to cook on it on a cold Wisconsin winter day. I still take verry good care of the truck and grill and both are beauty's and work great! funny isn't it? when you take care of stuff... It takes care of you back! Joseph R Osborn (Hunter's Dream Taxidermy)

Theres nothing to doubt Frank

This response submitted by oldshaver on 6/1/05 at 7:47 PM. ( ) 65.190.184.58

My opinion comes from someone that has been shaving many years, full time, at a tannery, and have used at least 5 different machines. (monarch, reliable, rawhide, quebec, eager beaver) The first 2 are prized posessions of a few tannerys out there, especially since they dont make them anymore. I work on a reliable that is at least 25 years old, and it will be here 50 years from now. The only thing that will have to be done to that machine over the next 25 years, is paint, change the motor, or replace the left guard. On occasion the left guard will have to be changed, from pulling so many skins accross it, that it wears out, and becomes so thin that it flakes off. It will actually get so thin, that you will cut yourself on the guard, adjusting it. Heres my OPINION as to why a rawhide is better than a EB. Keep in mind, I am talking about tannery use. Eb has a corner on the right side of the machine where you rest your chest if sitting, or your belly if standing. There shouldnt be a corner there, bad design. Working on a EB all day long will send you home with a red line across your left breast, from irritation. I assume everyone nows that you are supposed to sit or stand on the right side of the machine, with your left breast against the machine. I have heard a few say that there is no certain way to shave. Tell that to the guys who were apprentices for 2 years in Brooklyn fur shops. They were working on shaving machines long before there was such thing as a taxidermy tannery, or especially a machine in a Taxidermy shop. Anyway, the EB swing arm design for easy blade changing, is also a bad design, IN MY OPINION. Over time it cant hold up to the rigors of constant shaving of skins, especially large ones. This design requires constant tightening of the arm, to keep the left guard away from the blade. I have seen this with my own eyes, along with hearing quite a few cuss words coming from the operator. Last, I have seen the powder coating coming off in less than 6 months. I have seen none of this with the Rawhide machine. I have seen quite a few Rawhides, 15 plus years old, with NO problems what so ever. I dont quite understand what you are talking about, when refering to machine care? Maintenance yes, care no! They are supposed to be built to withstand the problems caused by a salt and acid enviroment. Do yall wax yours or something? I dont care what machine you buy, I was just giving an opinion, and now have explained it throughly.

Geez, OS, you used a Monarch?

This response submitted by George on 6/1/05 at 8:27 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

Now there was a sweet machine. I tend to agree with you on the design of the Rawhide (I'm prejudiced of course, since I own one). Strangely enough, it's my right breast that found the sharp angle. I told Bill (Metterhausen at Rawhide - now THERE's another story. LMAO) that I would never buy his "taxidermy model" because of that feature and ended up with the fur dresser model. The machine fits neatly into my chest "pocket" and though it's no Monarch, it's close enough for me at this stage of my life.

George

This response submitted by os on 6/1/05 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 65.190.184.58

If you ever decide to come down my way, Ill let you try a Reliable. Now theres a Cadillac with curb feelers and fuzzy dice! We got one monarch, and maybe you could pry the operator off of it for a few minutes, but I dont know. He wont work on anything else!

Monarch hard to get?

This response submitted by David Patton on 6/3/05 at 8:14 PM. ( darwin98@att.net ) 12.76.238.234

I have three Reliables that I wouldn't sell for any price and I know where you can get six Monarchs that are available right now. I saw them with my own eyes just three days ago.

Anyone who really wants a Monarch can have it by contacting me at my email address. I will put you in touch with the guy who will deliver it for you. Have your cash ready because they aren't cheap. However, you will pay less than the prices in the catalogs for the new brands.

Return to Tanning Category Menu