Stop Rot in the pickle

Submitted by Gary on 8/6/05 at 10:32 AM. ( sandstonejunkie@yahoo.com ) 129.71.207.101

I was just wondering after reading the instructions with it, It says it can be used in the pickle, Has any one tried using it that way and what was the amount used per gallon and any results/info. would be appreciated. Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Here is what ya do.

This response submitted by jrosbor on 8/6/05 at 11:16 AM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Go in the Archives and type in "Glen Conley, I have a question or two..." In the search box. there is only one post that will come up. All your info is on that post. Joe
Ahh hell... I will Email it to ya.

All ready been there

This response submitted by Gary on 8/6/05 at 1:59 PM. ( sandstonejunkie@yahoo.com ) 129.71.207.101

I went to hidetanning.net also and read everything there on stop-rot, Sure has been a lot of info. put in on that stuff since I was there last, I have been using it on cats and a few yotes in the last few months but was getting ready to place a fox in the pickle and can find no where on an amount of stop rot to put in the pickle. Thanks for the info.

LOL! Gary!

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 8/6/05 at 2:36 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.121.195

I think the future will add more information and data yet! Variations of use reports just keep coming in. Some are results of accident and some are the results of deliberate testing and experimentation.

To answer your question, "the ballpark" measure has been roughly an ounce maximum of STOP-ROT to the gallon of pickle formula.

Even with skins and capes that have already been treated with STOP-ROT, personal experience and reports from others strongly indicates that efficiency of the acids are being improved.

One thing to watch for is this. You may find you are getting "white" all the way through much quicker. Along with that, if your pickle has all of a sudden made a quick upward spike on pH the acid is "in the skin". You may not want to return the skin to the pickle, but go ahead and neutralize and finish it out.

There are many, many tanning systems out there, so I would always advise anyone to proceed with caution when it comes to the first time using products or experimentation. So far, I have received no complaints of incompatabilities with other existing products, or systems, but again, I always urge to go carefully with the eyes and the mind wide open.

We'll be awaiting YOUR report Gary! LOL You might be adding to that data base.

Thanks Glen

This response submitted by Gary on 8/6/05 at 3:57 PM. ( sandstonejunkie@yahoo.com ) 129.71.207.101

From what I have used of it I am already impressed, I will run out of salt before I let my Stop-Rot get empty. I will be getting a black bear in a few weeks that my friend killed last year. He turned/fleshed/salted and then put it in the freezer. My luck with bears is'nt leaving me looking forward to it, LOL, I will let you know. Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu