Carolina fur dressing

Submitted by Ron on 8/26/05 at 11:14 AM. ( ) 66.155.160.9

To start with I am very happy with the job Caorlina Fur does with their tanning, and I have been using them for 18 years and will not stop using them, however, lately they have been taking too long to get my skins back to me. They say 60 days on some items and everything else 4 to 6 months, thats fine. They used to start counting the time from when they recived the shipment, I was told this by them years ago. Now they tell me they start counting the time when they send the acknowledgement out but that takes quite a while till they send the acknowledgement out so that tacks on additional time to getting the order back. When we call to check on our orders the office girls seems like we are bothering them to check on an order.
Is anyone else having this trouble with them?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

You've led a sheltered life, Ron

This response submitted by George on 8/26/05 at 1:23 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

Carolina has an ever increasing workload as smaller tanneries fold amd more "taxidermists" come on line. Visit the business sometimes and tell me how you'd react to see thousands and thousands of hides in varying stages of completion and having some nitwit call you and say, "When is my muntjac going to be finished." Then if they tell you, they're held accountable for that being the exact date. Tanneries I've dealt with in the past made no bones about it. "We'll call you, don't call us."

Personally, I wouldn't have their job. I can't imagine being expected to shave one deer cape every 5 minutes or less. I hate having to do one a day, much less than 50 or 60.

Rick told me at the Nationals they're expanding and building bigger facilities and that MAY help your problem,but I don't ever see professional tanning being a 30 day situation for quality work. If you produce quality products, your lead times are just going to suffer.

George

This response submitted by Ron on 8/26/05 at 2:37 PM. ( ) 66.153.65.140

I have been to carolina several times to take my skins there and have seen the workload please don't refer to me as a nitwit.

Ron, I apologize

This response submitted by George on 8/26/05 at 2:47 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.130

But be honest. What do you think the secretaries think you are when you call? They only deal with numbers and paper. The guys in back are the ones who have to keep up with the progression of hides through the tannery and whatever they enter into the computer, that's all the girls have to deal with. I deal with a one year backlog (even if it's less, I still tell the customer that's the deal. When I send a hide out, I tell them it might take up to 8 months for me to even see it again and to "PLEASE, Don't call me asking when it's due back. When it's back, I won't keep it a day longer before I call you."

We both know that you can get all your stuff back in 45 to 60 days if you pay for it, so if it's a rush job, then the price goes up.

My point, which you missed completely, is that you have a top knotch tannery doing work without equal and you're putting their names in the archives forever as a group who didn't meet YOUR deadlines. No matter how many disclaimers you try to put in now, the fact remains that YOU were not satisfied with their service. I don't think that's very professional considering exactly what your personal gripe is.

Yes

This response submitted by Russell on 8/26/05 at 4:43 PM. ( ) 207.69.2.36

Yes, they are slowing down. I posted a similiar post earlier. If they promise 60 dyas that's what it should be or don't promise it in the first place. Maybe they are expanding to cure this problem.

Return to Tanning Category Menu