How far to thin

Submitted by Greg on 8/28/05 at 10:30 PM. ( ) 142.165.115.221

Im wondering what is a rule of thumb for shaving animals, I have to do a lifesize black bear, a bear rug, and a deer cape. I figure the rug needs to be softer then the lifesize, whats a good depth to go?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I hate to tell you this but...

This response submitted by AndyO on 8/28/05 at 11:29 PM. ( ) 68.20.223.88

if you dont know how far to thin a black bear, you should send it off to get tanned-- especially the rug. Take a look at it when it gets back.

Its my own bear hide to play with

This response submitted by greg on 8/28/05 at 11:39 PM. ( ) 142.165.116.112

so i can afford to wreak it

Take heart then Greg. You will

This response submitted by George on 8/28/05 at 11:58 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

You don't actually thin very much on a bear. Around the neck and face where they fight takes a little, but basically, you get it down to the skin and that's far enough. Bear hides are very thin to begin with. Deer should be thinned till they turn a pale blue. You'll find it just as soon as you've passed it and cut through the other side.

ROFLMFAO!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 8/29/05 at 12:51 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 71.98.0.94

OMG! And to think... I have been looking for that blue color for years! All I'd a had to do is cut all the way through and I would have seen it... Yup there it is. Hey! any one got any advice on sewing? LOL! I can't stop. I'm good now, I think my steak is done. Joe

ROFLMFAO!

This response submitted by jrosbor on 8/29/05 at 12:51 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 71.98.0.94

OMG! And to think... I have been looking for that blue color for years! All I'd a had to do is cut all the way through and I would have seen it... Yup there it is. Hey! any one got any advice on sewing? LOL! I can't stop. I'm good now, I think my steak is done. Joe

jrosbor

This response submitted by oldshaver on 8/29/05 at 8:24 PM. ( ) 68.221.1.163

are you a FA too? Greg, your just going to have to experiment. Youll know when its too thin, when the hair can be easily pulled out of the fur side with you thumb and index fingers. Too hard to explain, its one of those trial and error things. Bears are not like deer. Its mostly a judgement call on that particular skin. Drumming a bear, to make it soft , is a whole other trial and error thing. As George said, your going to have to break alot of eggs, to make this cake. Good luck.

Am I a what?

This response submitted by jrosbor on 8/31/05 at 2:29 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

FA?
C'mon now. I was going with what George said about the deer.
I think it's funny that I went home for lunch and my daughter was on this sight reading George's post. A mear 15 min before hand my fleshing machine took a "bite" out of a deer cape. (right through the "blue" part. Good thing it was only on the FRONT of the neck right under the white patch!)

As far as bears go. I just take off enough to "rough up" the flesh side. The face and neck, I do thin them down a little bit more, but not much! It also helps to use acid bate and a good degreaser. Joe

ROFLMFAO

This response submitted by oldshaver on 8/31/05 at 8:00 PM. ( ) 68.221.25.161

Rolling on the floor laughing my FAT ASS off! Im an FA, and dont mind saying it!

ahh... I see.

This response submitted by jrosbor on 9/3/05 at 12:52 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

and to think you were slammin me. I thought it was; Rolling on the floor laughing my f*&%$#*g ass off.
And if I would get my fat ass off this puter I wouldn't be one! And I may actualy get some work done! LOL! Joe

Return to Tanning Category Menu