rehydrating elk cape

Submitted by Dane on 9/3/05 at 1:04 AM. ( ) 205.208.172.31

I am going to be rehydrating a salt dried elk cape. I looked in the archives and got a little info but want to clarify a few things...I plan on rehydrating in a solution of 1 lb salt to 1 gal of water. The gentleman (very reputable and experienced) said to rehydrate it for a couple of days. Most posts advise against this. What do I need to do. I am not using any solvents and just plan on water and salt...maybe some bactricide (NKBU). Anyone rehydrate elk capes (completely dried) using just water and salt? I appreciate any info given. I will be pickling in safety acid and tanning with McKenzie tan...any other suggestions. I am new to tanning. Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

What i do

This response submitted by lee on 9/3/05 at 10:50 AM. ( ) 68.238.138.242

I re-hydrate in my pickle, usually i takes four or five days. Then i always shave twice. Im shure ill catch hell for this, but thats how i do it, with good results.

Lee,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 9/3/05 at 4:02 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Shame on you! Now there is a special place in the firey depths of hell just for you! LOL! Just kidding. I too have rehydrated in the pickle but it helps to use a relaxer that can be used in auxallary (sp) soaks like artesian relaxer from VDS. This seems to speed up the relaxing process to about two days. and only need to be shaved one time. I don't like using just the pickle as a relaxer because the capes seem to have that slime ball cardboard feel till they are completly relaxed. I have also found that STOP-ROT in the pickle seems to speed it up some (the pickle) and I am thinking that maybe by adding STOP-ROT to the pickle it could help speed up the rehydration process. Ya never know. Have a good one! Joe

Return to Tanning Category Menu