FREEZING HIDES

Submitted by JERRY on 9/5/05 at 6:38 PM. ( ) 206.148.156.12

Is it ok to freeze a wet tanned hide Or should it be dried First?
Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

freeze

This response submitted by lee on 9/5/05 at 7:38 PM. ( ) 70.110.33.221

freeze it or let it dry, either one. dont need to freeze after it is dried.

I don't know about all that.

This response submitted by George on 9/5/05 at 9:31 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

A good rule of thumb is that if you intend on mounting a skin, REGARDLESS of the type tan, freeze it. Dry tanned hides left exposed to the outside temps are more in danger of acid rot than frozen ones. And if you're getting a wet tan, why would you want to DRY it? Put it in the freezer. Then you can thaw it and mount it.

George and all his experience

This response submitted by Laurier on 9/6/05 at 8:25 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.212

Dry tanned hides left exposed to the outside temps are more in danger of acid rot than frozen ones

As I said before if the Acid is neutralized you would not have this kind of problem. I know that I don't

Laurier, if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump it's butt

This response submitted by George on 9/6/05 at 1:52 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

I guess you guarantee all your hides are 100% neutralized? I guess they sell some kind of meter or gage that tells you that? And IN MY OPINION, any hide tanned in alum is going to eventually acid rot. BTW, in case you use some tannery other than the dozen or so I've used, most of them send you a letter with your hides telling you that they aren't responsible for hides not used within a year after tanning unless they are frozen. Wonder why?

I agree with George

This response submitted by Steve on 9/6/05 at 10:18 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.130

Some capes ive used from some tanneries dont soak up very well even after 6 months.

that is the reason I tan all my own skins.

This response submitted by Laurier on 9/7/05 at 8:20 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.250

I have wet tanned skins that I had hanging up for 8 years all dryed up
put them in worm water to rehydrate and they come nice and soft.
Of course a tannery will give that in writhing, many tanneries have had a lot of problems.When the skin is out of your hands you have no control of the out come of that hide.Do it the right way in your shop and you will never have a problem.
The only tanning method that I would recomend is EZ-100 or Lutan.

Return to Tanning Category Menu