Unbelievable!

Submitted by jmkrahn on 9/5/05 at 8:46 PM. ( ) 205.200.63.182

Well, I'm just a hobbyist that plays around with some aspects of taxidermy and comes here to watch and learn. I was at a friends shop this afternoon, he's a full time taxidermist. He had a customer call in about a bear hide, wanted a rug done. My friend said sure, bring it down. An hour later the guy shows up with the hide in a garbage bag, as soon as we get within 10 feet I can smell somethings not right. Turns out they shot the bear Fri. night, skinned it Sat. morning. They then decided that the best thing to do with it was put it in a garbage bag, and put that in a sealed 55 gallon drum so the flies couldn't get at it.Temps were around 30 degrees Celsius all weekend, and they still waited till Mon. afternoon to bring it to the shop. The hair was just dripping off of it already, and they thought it could still be tanned. I can't believe how ignorant some people are!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Welcome to the exciting

This response submitted by Greg Waite on 9/5/05 at 9:04 PM. ( bgwaite@lexcominc.net ) 207.144.151.227

world of taxidermy. You should see some of the deer people bring in. I had a guy bring in a deer that he cut up to the lower jaw. If you take a few minutes to look at a mounted deer... or the guy that shoots a coyote then doesn't find it for a day. Talk about stink.

With what

This response submitted by Dennis on 9/5/05 at 9:40 PM. ( ) 4.227.117.7

Last year I had a guy bring me a mule deer head, chopped of behind the ears with a hatchet and said he wanted a shoulder mount! I said "with what"? For real, he said "Did I do something wrong?"

bear head

This response submitted by lee on 9/5/05 at 9:53 PM. ( ) 70.110.33.221

i got a bear in with his head cut completly off, i dont know why and didnt ask, just said all the sewing would be extra. You see it all, i guess

Return to Tanning Category Menu