Just Beginning and NEED HELP

Submitted by Caleb on 9/21/05 at 11:28 PM. ( ) 65.64.74.172

Im very interested in tanning my own skins and would like to try brain tanning or whatever is easiest. I think i have some of the steps in order but not sure about the rest.
First i must skin the animal and wash the hide in water
then scrape the fat and meat off the skin
then salt the hide and let it dry
after that im lost do i stretch it, scrape it or what? also, what keeps the hair from comming loose? Any help would greatly be apprrciated.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

E-Mail me Caleb!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 9/21/05 at 11:32 PM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.7

Please e-mail me. I can copy and paste our EZ-2000 Tanning Kit instructions for you and send them back. It's step by step and should be relatively easy to understand.

My e-mail address is: Rittel@mindspring.com

you definitely do need help

This response submitted by rowan on 9/21/05 at 11:40 PM. ( l44gg@yahoo.com.au ) 144.139.13.178

Hi Caleb,
I suggest you get a book for beginners, try this one ( http://www.lulu.com/rowan )
A beginners book will outline all the steps in detail. or you can use the orange search button on the left and go through the archives.
First, What do you intend to tan? I suggest starting with something easy like rabbits, these are easy to tan and cheap to experiment with. Email me for step by step directions or advice.
Tanning is fun and rewarding but do it right to start with and you will avoid disappointment.
Rowan
Ps. Brain tanning is awfully hard work, I suggest you start with a tanning kit which will be a lot easier.

Tanning

This response submitted by Don on 9/21/05 at 11:46 PM. ( ) 69.212.188.195

1) after skinning all fat / meat must be fleshed off, there is also a thin membrain over the entire skin side, this needs to be got off. be careful fleshing that you dont cut holes in the hide.
2) now that thew hide is clean and fleshed in needs to be soaked in a pickle soultion for a few days depending on the type of hide. I recommend using "Safety Acid".
3) after the pickle is done brush on a coat of "Liqua Tan" according to the directions, then follow that with "Liqua Soft".
4)The hide can then be futher softened & cleaned by tumblimg in a dryer (air only, no heat).
All the materials can be found at www.Van Dykestaxidermy.com or www.McKenziesp.com
I don't know about the brain method but I would bet it's alot more work. good luck.

I'd go

This response submitted by Phillip on 9/22/05 at 6:58 AM. ( ) 202.180.83.6

the Rittell's way. Easy, step by step instructions that explain the why's and wher-fores as you go.And great results.

tanning instructions

This response submitted by afrank on 9/22/05 at 12:11 PM. ( mousiear379@yahoo.com ) 70.33.35.117

Could you please e-mail me the ez-2000 tanning kit instructions. I know how to brain tan but I have a hide and no brain. I need other forms of tanning and solutions to get the hair off. Thank you

Return to Tanning Category Menu