Pickel b4 salting

Submitted by Jeff on 9/22/05 at 9:48 PM. ( ) 142.165.107.229

I have heard about people who will put a skin in the pickel b4 they salt it because it makes the fleshing process easier, is this a good thing to do or do you risk slippage or does the pickel stop it from slipping?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Sorta,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 9/22/05 at 10:35 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Under the guidence of Glen from WTDS, I have been "pickling" before salting for a few months now. The trick is to have a higher ph. Keep the ph of the pre pickle at 5.9-6. This causes the cellular structure to burst and the extra cellular fluid is drawn out by your salting step. You only need to pre pickle your cape/skin for about an hour or so. All I can say is IT WORKS! Try it! Joe

I have put skins in a pickle to thaw.

This response submitted by Todd B on 9/22/05 at 10:38 PM. ( ) 4.224.159.124

I have put some skins such as foxes in a pickle to thaw because the faces are prone to slippage. I just do it as a preventative. But I just proceed with the tanning process from there. Never have salted any after the pickle.

Todd B

Pickle

This response submitted by Chad Wood on 9/23/05 at 7:16 AM. ( ) 4.224.75.82

I do this if I feel The Hide or cape is a little "iffy". I always thaw canines in a pickle because of slippage on the ears.

Return to Tanning Category Menu