Reusing salt and the pickle

Submitted by Jeff on 9/23/05 at 10:04 PM. ( ) 142.165.116.142

What are the cons of reusing salt for setting hairs? could it not work proper the second and third time? The same question for the Pickle, as long as it is not to dirty can it also be reused? If the salt cannot be used over again can the once used salt be kept to be used in the saftee acid and tan solution?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

answers

This response submitted by Mr.T on 9/23/05 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.222

Some guys use the salt over and over when drying the hide. Just as many throw it away. Some guys use the same pickle all season, and just add salt and acid to keep it up to snuff, no matter how dirty it is. Just as many, throw the pickle out each time. But I don't know of anybody that uses used salt in the pickle or tan, that I think you would want new salt for those two purposes.

Well,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 9/23/05 at 10:58 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

technically you could reuse salt. BUT! It will be loaded with the stuffs you are trying to take out of the hide. When you salt a hide you are taking away more than just water. You are also taking away "extracelular fluid" whitch is the real concern in bacterial growth. NOT water. Even when salt is dried out it still contains the "crap" from the hide. My recomendation would be to reuse the salt in your driveway or walkway in the winter time.
As for your pickle, I have reused pickles in the past but found it's just too simple and cheap to start from scratch. When you start adding things like acid bate, degreasers, and oils. It's pretty easey to loose track of what that pickle has in it from the last time you used it.
As for your final question... See above. I hope this info helps ya out! Joe
BTW, safetee acid and salt are cheap. Use new!

I agree

This response submitted by Mr.T on 9/24/05 at 12:33 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.129

I'm with you Joe, I use fresh everytime, it works for me.

A bad experience

This response submitted by Rowan on 9/24/05 at 4:22 AM. ( rowan@wondercraft.biz ) 147.69.109.46

The first time I got red rot in a hide was the last time I ever reused salt for drying. It is a bugger to get rid of and comes back when you can least afford it, like when you have to leave salt dried hides while you go on holiday for instance.
It is cheap so always use new.
Rowan

Return to Tanning Category Menu