Shaving machine safety

Submitted by oldshaver on 9/25/05 at 12:53 PM. ( ) 68.221.27.242

I saw a person in the deer categorie say that a shaving machine wouldnt cut deep into your skin, and that it would only take off a thin layer of your skin. WRONG! I have personally been cut to the bone, twice, on the fatty part of the left hand, just above the wrist, and another one, on my index finger. This doesnt include stitches several times in other places. Most bad injuries come from being over-confident, and forgetting to RESPECT THAT MACHINE. It has the potential to really do some severe damage, especially with some of those large lips some operators are using out there. Nobody asked for them, but I am going to give yall a few suggestions that should help save a few operators alot of pain! LARGE HEAVY SKINS- try to thin large heavy skins with a straight knife prior to fleshing on the machine. This will decrease the skin weight, and make for easier handling, and drastically reduce your chances of that skin slipping out of your left hand, and flying into the left guard. STRECHING SKINS OR REMOVING WRINKLES- never try to pull the wrinkles out of a skin in front of the machine. Sometimes you will have a problem spot in a skin that you need to get to lay flat for shaving, and the guard just wont smooth it out. Get the skin out from in front of that knife before you try to pull a wrinkle out. Again, hand slip from the pressure of pulling, and BAM-pain again. ALWAYS USE THE LEFT GUARD- believe it or not, their are quite a few people that dont use the left guard. This method of shaving doesnt require a higher skill level, just a lesser degree of intelegence. Without the left guard, their is no protection for your left wrist. In the event of a freak accident, you can sever the tendons and arteries of the inner wrist, causing a crippling injury to the left hand. CUT OFF THE MACHINE WHEN REMOVING DEBRIS FROM THE MACHINE- It only takes a second, and your time is not worth that much. NEVER REACH ACCROSS THE MACHINE- keep your sharpening steels on the right hand side of your machine if you are right handed, and on the left hand side if you are left handed. Saw a guy reach accross a machine once, and came down on the top of the blade with his elbow.NASTY- if I remember right-20 stitches on the elbow. FAT OR GREASE ON THE MACHINE BELT- take the belt off, and rub it good with sawdust. This will usually stop it from slipping. Saw a guy rap a wrag around his index finger, and place it against a running belt to remove grease. Rag caught in the belt, and pulled his finger into the arbor. He soon found out how many times he could hollar "cut it off" in 10 seconds. Being careless with a shaving machine WILL bite you in the ass eventually. Been there, done that, got a tee-shirt. If Any other experienced operators have any tips to add, go for it. I think some of the how- to videos people get with their machines dont cover the full picture.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Keep your thumbs pointed OUT

This response submitted by George on 9/25/05 at 1:11 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.132

OS, I didn't see the nitwit posting on that or I'd have said something as well. I've had it slice especially deep when doing a really thick, tough hog and getting careless. Your first shave after honing is always the worst and the best chance for the blade to dig into a tough hide or cut through a thin one into your own skin. By keeping your thumbs out, you allow the HOPE that if the blade pulls you in, the butt of your palms will hit the guards and prevent your thumb from being sliced. On big hides, I still use the Kevlar gloves, but even they are no guarantee. You can still get cut.

Great Advice OS

This response submitted by John on 9/25/05 at 1:12 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

I am by far not a veteran at the shaving machine but I have experienced some of the pain. I have taken finger nails off to the quick, numerous finger cuts and the best yet was a 1/4" deep cut to the heal of my hand that required stitches. Thank Goodness it wasn't my wrist. Be patient and take your time.

Fleshing machine safety

This response submitted by Nina Lukaszewicz on 9/25/05 at 1:18 PM. ( 1224@earthlink.net ) 4.249.174.4

Good tips oldshaver....

I think it is a very good idea for people who have long hair to wear it up in a ponytail so it does not get caught in the pulleys or on the blade. I use this tip and it is just an extra prevention from getting hurt. I also use my kevlar gloves, and would never flesh/shave a hide without them, I understand they wont prevent injury completely, but they help.

Also when I am not using my machine I take the electrical plug out of the wall. You never know and it may be highly unlikely, but I don't want the flesher to be accidentally turned on when not in use.

reap what you sew

This response submitted by Mr.T on 9/25/05 at 1:24 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.171

I was only cut one time while fleshing with the machine,,,,when I WASN"T wearing my kevlar gloves. I found out fast why they make and sell cutproof gloves. I also use a push stick on my table saw.
OS, I didn't see to WEAR KEVLAR GLOVES as one of you're tips,, how come?

Super glue

This response submitted by Dennis on 9/25/05 at 1:40 PM. ( ) 4.90.9.224

Guys and Gals, keep super glue handy. Doctor bills are to expensive getting stiched. I have been cut a couple of times and I just squirt a little super glue in the wound (burns like heck) hold it together for a minute and you are good as new. It works good on all small cuts, even deep ones, to keep the bacteria out and hold you together, really do not know what happens to the bacteria I have trapped on the inside? I guess my body takes care of it? I am still alive anyway. Have a good one and be save.

oldshaver

This response submitted by wilson on 9/25/05 at 3:17 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.70

Maybe you should find a new line of work. hehe I have never cut myself , but could see how it could be done ONCE.
For someone as young as you ;I hope you still have fingers and use of your hands when you turn 50.

I very rarely get cut anymore

This response submitted by oldshaver on 9/25/05 at 4:19 PM. ( ) 68.221.27.242

Mr.T, I dont use gloves because of the detail shaving I do daily. With gloves its hard to hold small areas between your thumb and index fingers. Shaving paw pads on fox and bobcat for example. Its hard to explain, but I need bare hands to feel the skin. Wilson, your a funny guy. If you never cut your self, you never shaved 40 plus hours a week, at a comercial tannery, for 50 weeks a yearclose to 2 decades. Dont bother saying you have, because I wont believe you. I keep my left guard about 1/8 inch away from the blade, to allow for that detail shaving. Thats an 1/8 of room for error.

oldshaver

This response submitted by wilson on 9/25/05 at 5:19 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.70

I do not care how many HR a day you do a job; I have worked many jobs with the potential of hurting myself and or others but it doesn't happen. Safety isn't something to take lightly.

Gloves

This response submitted by gloves on 9/25/05 at 8:35 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.58

With the price of the average "single cut saves your hide" gloves, if you're not using them... it's pennywise and pound foolish. I just priced these 5 min. ago and found heavyweight yet dextrous (knit, liquid repellent) for $5.99 a pair. At that price, if you cut a glove, oh well - get a new pair. That's a lot cheaper then a trip to the ER, with a lot less heartache and blood loss!

Aubry

This response submitted by Mr.T on 9/25/05 at 8:42 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.23

I forgot what you did for a living, Wouldn't it be a good idea to ware protective gloves with the finger tips missing for the detail work you do, and yet protect the rest of you're hands? I don't want to ever get a cut like I did, when I got to lazy to go into the house and get the gloves.

No crap wilson

This response submitted by oldshaver on 9/25/05 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 68.221.27.242

Thats what the post was all about-safety. A person just learning to operate any piece of machinery, is at a much higher risk of injury than a veteran operating the same equiptment. Is a butcher more likely to get cut after 3 years or 20 years? I would think 3 years, because at 20 years, they learned from his or her mistakes. Why do older drivers get better insurance rates, than older ones? Because they have less wrecks. I could go on with this for hours, but it aint worth the time. A comercial tannery shaver doesnt have the luxury of spending hours shaving one deer cape an hour , like a Taxidermist does. I probablly shave more in 3 or 4 days, than you do in a year. How many life size bison skins have you had in front of your machine, that took two guys to lift? How many crocs have you shaved over 12 feet long? How many cape buffalo have you shaved? What about going from moose and elk capes in the morning to a load of foxes and coyotes in the afternoon? Dont forget to throw some bears in-between. You need to find something to argue about, that you actually know something about, cause this aint it.

shaver

This response submitted by wilson on 9/25/05 at 9:26 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.70

I just think your accident prone, others like Whitney [using her shaver without guards]; should work at a desk.

Wilson

This response submitted by John on 9/25/05 at 10:12 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

I have been at the shaving machine about 3 years now and have fewer injuries than when I started. Experience brings less accidents and I am still inexperienced as hell. Do you work for a high volume tannery like Old Shaver? I am reaching here but I bet he is one of the few shavers out there that can shave 75+ capes in a day from Bobcat to Bison without skipping a beat. If he has accidents it is because of the high volume of skins he is capable of shaving in a day. Ever hear of a 5 minute deer cape? I bet you can't do it. Show us your credibility Wilson. Who do you work for? How many skins can you shave in a days work?

john

This response submitted by wilson on 9/25/05 at 10:52 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.70

I must have mist that, when I was a child; is their a formula that will give me and others an excitable accident rate for 75 capes or 100 capes or maybe after so many board ft of wood you cut, it's OK, to cut, maybe just one finger off.
What is with the young kids thinking any accident is OK ; a cut to the bone is not expectable [ ever].
To justify an injury by saying I do a lot of work, is not excitable. Or should not be for me you or any body else.
It does no one any good to watch a TV show where some convict tells you, don't be like me after he got caught for a [three strike rule] or the guy down the street with 5 kids and another on the way, [on state help] telling us to use a rubber but it fells better without one.
Guys get out in the world; accidents are NOT a way of life.

btw

This response submitted by wilson on 9/25/05 at 11:29 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.70

i love my spell check

oldshaver right

This response submitted by robert on 9/26/05 at 7:52 PM. ( ) 4.225.177.92

Always check the welding on your machine are any screws holding it togather, I saw a guy clowning around, and the lid part came open, and he went back to shave and the blade cut his lower part of his chest, 30 stitches, they said if he hadnt been thick in the chest it could have been worse for him.

Wilson-

This response submitted by oldshaver on 9/26/05 at 8:21 PM. ( ) 68.221.25.188

wont tell you anything. He is too busy being an [expletive deleted]! He is probablly one of the little jackles, that is pissed off because the lion is not leaving him any meat. I think Wilson is jealous because I probablly make more than he does in a year, and I dont even own a tannery. Yes wilson, I am accident prone. Ive got no fingers, and could still out shave you or any of your employees. All of the comercial shavers I know, or have ever met, are accident prone also. I told my Boss about you today (25 years plus tanning), and he thinks you are full of crap too. In spots, to the bone aint that deep,AH.

ha ha

This response submitted by wilson on 9/26/05 at 9:03 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.70

You funny little boy, You win; I don't have a mommy to tell on you too.

Wilson

This response submitted by John on 9/26/05 at 9:59 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

So you are trying to tell us that you have never had an accident. BS I say! You have never accidentally cut your finger with a pocket knife? I still say BS! Are you related to EJ? And by the way I am by far not a kid and the world is not perfect! Which glass box did you crawl out of anyway?

john

This response submitted by wilson on 9/26/05 at 10:36 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.70

How many times do you have to be kicked in the balls before you protect yourself; you know their are some, that do it the first TIME.

Return to Tanning Category Menu