Questions about Krowtann, velvet antlers

Submitted by Ron on 9/27/05 at 6:05 PM. ( critterstuffers@yahoo.com ) 63.162.157.85

Used Krowtann on a couple of deer last year for the first time. Liked the tan and ease of use but was close to not getting the hide over the neck. Stretch was very lacking. I know the directions mention using Krow-Oil but has anyone tried Kemal-4 to relax the hide (since I already have some on hand)? Also, received a head yesterday in velvet. Appears deer was within a day or two of starting to shed, horns appear well formed. I have Preserv-it on the shelf. whats the best way to preserve the velvet in this condition, (injection, sponging, or submerge) or a combination. When submerging a rack, whats the proper ratio to dilute the Preservz-it or full strength. Thanks a bunch.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

have used krow-oil...

This response submitted by terryr on 9/28/05 at 12:51 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

and you definitely get more stretch that way - also you can use a atv 4 wheeler tube inflated to get it to stretch back to full size (this is george's idea and it works well)

There's

This response submitted by 9 Fingers on 9/28/05 at 1:27 AM. ( ) 65.73.38.89

a bunch of posts in the archives. Type in velvet antler preservation.

possible

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 9/28/05 at 8:01 PM. ( ) 216.108.218.70

did not neturalize long enough. or not thinned enough. Just my 2 cents. Tube is about the best thing going as far as a cheap stretcher.

Return to Tanning Category Menu