Now I'm lost

Submitted by Don S on 9/18/05 at 8:10 PM. ( ) 24.66.94.140

Following Van Dykes Lutan-f tanning kit instructions.mixed up my pickle solution ph read 1.5-2 as per instructions put wolf hide in has been in for approx 23hrs,just out of curiosity checked ph level again it reads more to the4 level now .ok is it time to panic the instructions say"it is not necessary to maintain the 1-2ph range once the skins have been added to the pickle.the hides must stay in the pickle 3 days or 72 hours"so I have been searching the archives but not getting a clear answer some say to maintain the 1-2 level what do I do this will make for one ugly rug if the hair is going to slip HELP before its to late.. many thanks Don

Return to Tanning Category Menu

What will more pickle acid cost?

This response submitted by Mr.T on 9/18/05 at 9:01 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.33

Whats wrong with adding more to get it back down? What are you waiting for? Think of the pickle as an army. They have to kill the bad guys in the hide and you have to restock them with ammo until they gain the front line.

Add

This response submitted by John on 9/18/05 at 9:15 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Like Mr T said just add more acid. Take out the skin and set it aside and start adding small amounts of acid until you get it back down to where it needs to be. In my opinion it is very necessary to maintain the 1.5 to 2.0 pH. Next question, did you use any thing other than salt on the hide?

OK ACID ADDED

This response submitted by Don S on 9/18/05 at 10:08 PM. ( ) 24.66.94.140

OK I added more acid took it slow got it back in the 1-2 range i,ll check it again in the mourning,question #2 in regards to more then salting no just salt(of course now you have me woundering why you ask) Thanks Don

The reason

This response submitted by Mike on 9/18/05 at 10:30 PM. ( ) 64.91.85.162

the pH needs to be low is to inhibit bacteria growth, so if it raises, guess what happens?

Borax

This response submitted by John on 9/18/05 at 10:48 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Some folks have posted that they used borax instead of salt to prep the hide. Why? Beats me! Borax is a tanning enemy. It will completely screw up the pH of the pickle and will cause the hair to slip horribly.

Follow Directions

This response submitted by Dave B on 9/19/05 at 3:20 PM. ( ) 206.148.108.38

Have you added 1# salt per every gallon of water? Salt will help stabelize acid and is very important.At 1st,the instructions read 2 #salt per gallon. It was established that it was just a waste of salt. 1# per gallon is suffiant. Beware,too much acid will sreate acid swell. So go slow and take it easy.
If worse comes to worse,just give Bruce a call.
Borax wont hurt the ph if checked. It will rise the number of your ph. Add more acid to bring the ph down or add borax to raise it to its proper level!

Good luck,
Dave

Dave

This response submitted by John on 9/19/05 at 6:55 PM. ( ) 68.206.84.184

Where did you get your info? Borax makes it very hard for the acid to stabilize. Use baking soda to adjust the pH if you don't want ruined skins. Borax should never be used in a pickle.

Return to Tanning Category Menu