I have a skunk skin and don't know how I should tan it.

Submitted by Hilary on 9/19/05 at 3:51 PM. ( handerso@knoxalumni.org ) 64.53.37.3

I received a skunk skin as a gift. It has been frozen for a few years. I would like to tan it and make a purse out of it. So I'm looking for a tanning recipe that would make it soft and supple. Any advice would be well appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Go with Ez 100 tanning kit by Bruce Rittel

This response submitted by Matthew on 9/20/05 at 11:58 PM. ( fishandfurs@hotmail.com ) 69.153.61.7

Hey Hilary,

I use Ez 100 tanning method by Bruce Rittel. I also know of a method of how to use Lutan F that I could forward to you. Another guy I will recommend that knows everything about tanning with Ez 100 is Laurier Houlle he is one of the best tanners out there. He knows all about how to get the skin supple and soft. Although I would tell you what he basically would say but anyways.
Your first step would be to get the skunk skin salted and dried out and let it dry complelety , also does it have any fat or red meat if so it needs to be removed now while its salted next I would then salt it agin and put it on an incline and let it dry out complelty this way the oils will drip out of it and all.

Next you would after 2 days take it and put it in a bucket with laundry detergent and about 2 gallons of water prefferably scented. Then you would preccede and go ahead with rinsing it out real good with cold water . Next you would try to make your pickiling soluiton. this would be well I use either saftee acid or sulphuric acid I use a 1/2 oz per gallon of either of these in gallons of water I also use a 1lb of salt per gallon of water. You also should check the Ph of the pickle the ph should read at between 1.5-2.0.Note a Ph between 1.5 and 1.0 will also work.( Note skins can be left in the pickle for about 5 days then they should be drained wrung out and rinsed thendegrease them if the skunk is greasy with Rittles Super Solvent for about 20 minutes.

Next neutralized with laudry detergent in water and let them neutralize for 20 minutes or so then you would rinse and wring out.
note place ph paper on skin to check to see if its completely neutralized.
Finally you would then make your tanning mix which would be 1oz of easy 100 per gallon of water mix tanning powder and water together. Next add a lb of salt per gallon of water and let it soak for 2 3 days remeber its safe to over tan better over prepare then under prepare and have a raw skin.

There is alot more to this than what I have said so I suggest you check the taxidermy tanning archives for more info on this.

Return to Tanning Category Menu