Whats the average cost for shipping bear rugs?

Submitted by fred on 9/7/05 at 5:22 PM. ( ) 67.1.101.247

What do you guys pay? And do you have any recommendations on any tanneries?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Depends on weight

This response submitted by KC on 9/7/05 at 9:01 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.7

It will cost you for the weight of shipment. As far as tanning I have been using H&H Fur Dressign out of Michigan for the past year. I love everything they have done for me so far.

Where Are You?

This response submitted by Old Fart on 9/8/05 at 9:58 AM. ( ) 64.122.57.76

It's a lot easier to recommend a tanner if we have an idea where you are located. It would make no sense to recommend a tanner that you have to ship the hides all the way across the country! There are a lot of good tanners around this country and shipping will really kill you if you start sending everything a thousand miles away.

iowa is where I'm at

This response submitted by fred on 9/8/05 at 11:55 AM. ( ) 67.1.97.37

I won't go to Champion(bad experience in waiting on a rug). Thinking posibly Yost, I beleive which is in Sturgeon Bay WI or the H&H.

Yost would be a good choice...

This response submitted by Mary Hilliard-Krueger- wholesale rugmaker on 9/8/05 at 1:01 PM. ( halflingrugger@cox,net ) 68.2.189.197

..if that is one of your considerations. They were initially a furrier for the garment industry prior to opening up their business for the taxidermy industry. Hence, you will get an extremely well neutralized skin and a very well oiled leather(both allowing you to get maximum stretch ) Not to mention the great detail and cleanliness attention paid to the hair side. I greatly enjoy working with rugs form YOST.
As far as shipping goes, Fed Ex is almost half of what UPS charges.Your dried, salted cape shouldn't weigh that much. Many tanneries will ship your rugs directly to your rugmaker(if you use one for full service) which will save you a two way shipping fee.
Rugs require a bit more attention at the tannery as far as I am concerned.They need to be softer and more supple(when completed) than a skin that is going on a form. Never be afraid to pay a bit more, if warranted, for shipping and tanning, as the end result of quality pays for itself , in the shop and to your customer.
Regards,
Mary

Wildlife Gallery

This response submitted by Old Fart on 9/9/05 at 2:15 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.57

They're in Michigan, look up tanning in Suppliers at the top of this page for thier address.

Return to Tanning Category Menu