dry preserve for bear skin rugs

Submitted by JIML on 9/9/05 at 8:05 PM. ( naturalwildlif@juno.com ) 64.136.49.227

Got quick ?. I have been sending all of my bear skins off to tannery, Does anyone know how good dry preserve works for bear skin rugs? I am going to try a couple of the smaller ones to see but needed some in-put. I have used this for shoulder and smaller mounts. Thanks in advance for any in-put. JIM

Return to Tanning Category Menu

dont go backwards

This response submitted by paul on 9/9/05 at 9:14 PM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

im no fan of dry preserve and sure wouldn't bet on it producing a good rug tan! my opinion! if you truly want to hang in this business don't sacrifice quality for price.

Not recommended

This response submitted by Mary Hilliard-Krueger- wholesale rugmaker on 9/9/05 at 10:16 PM. ( halflingrugger@cox.net ) 68.2.189.197

Dry preserve will produce a smelly rug as bears are just so greasy.Plus it will never produce a soft, supple rug.They will be stiff and crinkly to the touch. If you were your customer would you be happy recieving that. If you don't want to lose your customers, send those bears to be commercially tanned. If you need to cut corners for expenses,find another avenue,don't skimp in this area.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

This response submitted by George on 9/9/05 at 10:56 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

Mary nailed it. If you want your customer beating your door down, you just try that stunt. DP is dry PRESERVATIVE and is not a tan so it won't be soft and flexible at best. It WILL stink of rancid grease very quickly. Don't even think about it.

don't

This response submitted by Michael S on 9/10/05 at 7:07 AM. ( ) 67.141.171.62

I done one about ten years ago for a brother-n-law (when i first started) and it still stinks.

Oh my,

This response submitted by jrosbor on 9/10/05 at 5:36 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

I can't belive this was asked! Keep sending them out! You won't be disapointed. Joe

Return to Tanning Category Menu