lost cause? Fixing a botched tan....

Submitted by R. Lee on 9/11/05 at 5:39 PM. ( Schrecken13@yahoo.com ) 209.247.222.86

I have this half bear hide left over from a 1/2 lifesize mount and when I tanned it I must not have gotten all the grease out and it seems that the tan did not fully penetrate all the hide. Anyway, I've always held out hope that I might be able to 'fix' this hide remnant (and I have a couple others in the same situation) as I could make something out of it but the hide is oily and stiff and smells like a wet dog when it gets humid. I wet-tanned this back half myself just for craft work (it's probably 15 years old or so, I think I might have used Lutan-F on it, not sure..). I wish I could make it soft and non-greasy again....is this a lost cause or can something like this be re-habilitated? Can you ever re-tan a hide? And if so how would you go about doing it?

From what I'm reading here about acid rot and shelf-life of tans it sounds kind of hopeless, but I hate to throw the thing out as it has nice hair...

Return to Tanning Category Menu

pick the worst...

This response submitted by terryr on 9/14/05 at 12:53 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

one to experiment with- i would rehydrate with Rittels relax-r and throw back in pickle if still in one piece after rehydrate - after pickle reflesh hide (remove grease layer) and then back into lutan-f - what have you got to lose?

Return to Tanning Category Menu