Picking a tan

Submitted by oaktree on 9/15/05 at 4:19 PM. ( ) 24.66.94.140

Need help or suggestions on picking the proper tan.I will be makeing a timber wolf rug ,I have in my inventory Liqua tan,lutan-f as well as alum the wolf is fleshed and being salted as we speak.Iam relitivly new to tanning so most fool prof(if there is such thing)safest would be best for me thanks for the help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

That's an easy one

This response submitted by George on 9/15/05 at 5:04 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

The safest, most reliable, efficient, and cheapest method available is to send it out and have it professionally done.

Thanks but

This response submitted by oaktree on 9/15/05 at 6:23 PM. ( ) 24.66.94.140

Thanks for the speedy response George but I really would like to try this one myself.(after all can,t learn without trying) Ijust spent the last little while searching the archives holy c*** is all I have to say about that.For the most part all they do is contain alot of infighting I've pretty much ruled out the alum(very sore spot acording to archives)my reason being,not longtivity of product but does not seem to offer softness needed for rug work,lutan f sounds great other then playing with ph levels,so liqua tan seems the way to go "agree" ? (side note to people reading this post)no this is not my final decission I only ask the ? because I don't know the answers,hopeing the people with the knowlage can let us green backs learn a little, Thank you look forward to your response.

Well, if you insist...

This response submitted by George on 9/15/05 at 7:21 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.130

I'd recommend the lutan f as it's a submersible tan that will insure consistent penetration from all sides. Once it's tanned, however, the work just begins. That hide will have to be broken and that will pull the ends of your fingers off and war your arms out. If you don't break and oil the hide, the skin will become stiff and your rug will be more like a piece of cardboard with hair.

George, your gonna hate me.

This response submitted by oaktree on 9/15/05 at 7:30 PM. ( ) 24.66.94.140

This might be a real stupid one ,break the hide yes I under stand the reason and theory now will a tumbler do the same thing"or"help in any way other then fluffing the fur.Now go grab your coffee George before I think of something else.Thanks.

The tumbler will certainly fluff the hide

This response submitted by George on 9/15/05 at 11:58 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.130

But unless it's 8 feet in diameter, it's not going to do diddly for breaking your hide. The "drop" is what breaks the hide and a small drum doesn't have enough. You're going to most likely end up haveing to settle for a hand job on breaking your hide.

The Tan

This response submitted by oldshaver on 9/16/05 at 9:15 PM. ( ) 68.214.237.225

No tan will produce softness on its own merit. In my opinion, the tan is only about 25% of the total required to make a hide soft. Nor will enzymes do the trick. Your questions need to be directed more towards tumbling times, types of oil that work well, and the shaving of the hide. How wet or dry does the hide need to be when its oiled? How long should I let it dry after its oiled? What kind of sawdust should I use? What if anything should I add to the sawdust before tumbling? My opinion, the tan is the least of your worries.

Return to Tanning Category Menu